Ebola has been eradicated in Liberia, according to the World Health Organisation.
The West African nation has now gone 42 days without a new case - twice as long as its incubation period. More than 4,700 people died from the deadly virus over the last year.
Tolbert Nyswah, Liberia's deputy health minister, said that the news was "worth celebrating", but that vigilance was still needed while neighbouring countries Guinea and Sierra Leone still suffer.
A total of 11,005 people have died from Ebola in the three West African neighbours since the outbreak began in December 2013, according to the WHO.
Liberia was recording hundreds of new cases a week at the peak of the outbreak between August and October, causing international alarm.
Liberia has been declared Ebola free today, after 42 days without a new case of the virus being recorded.
The World Health Organisation praised the West African country's "determination to defeat Ebola" as the nation marked an end to the year-long epidemic which has killed 4,700 Liberians.
Liberia has been declared free from Ebola on Saturday after 42 days without a new case, according to the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), Reuters reports.
However MSF urged continued vigilance until the worst-ever recorded outbreak of the virus is extinguished in neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone.
MSF's head of mission in Liberia, Mariateresa Cacciapuoti, said: "We can't take our foot off the gas until all three countries record 42 days with no cases."
She urged Liberia to step up cross-border surveillance to prevent Ebola slipping back into the country.
A total of 11,005 people have died from Ebola in Liberia, neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone since the outbreak began in December 2013, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Nearly half of those deaths have been in Liberia, where the outbreak peaked between August and October, with hundreds of cases a week.
A man has been admitted to hospital and is being tested for Ebola after returning from Liberia.
The traveller was taken in to the Brownlee Centre for Infectious Diseases at Glasgow's Gartnavel Hospital in the early hours of this morning.
Test results are expected this afternoon.
An NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde spokesman said it is thought to be "very unlikely" that the man has Ebola.
Sierra Leone ended its three-day government imposed lockdown on Sunday evening meaning some six million residents were finally allowed to venture outside.
The lockdown, aimed at accelerating the end of the country's Ebola epidemic, saw officials order residents to stay inside on pain of arrest as health workers went door-to-door looking for hidden patients.
Guinea's President Alpha Conde has announced new emergency measures enabling authorities to restrict movements in the west of the country where Ebola transmission continues a year after the epidemic was declared.
More than 10,300 people have died from Ebola in West Africa and while cases are thought to have peaked, Guinea is struggling to stamp out the virus.
Following a dip in new cases in January, they have spiked again since early March in and around the capital, prompting officials to announce a new phase of the epidemic in Guinea.
Speaking on state television Conde said: "I declare in the districts of Forecariah, Coyah, Dubreka, Boffa and Kindia a reinforcement of emergency measures for a period of 45 days.
"Wherever the need may be, throughout this period, measures of restriction and confinement will be taken".
Food and medical supplies would be given to the affected communities, Conde added.
Police have reportedly fired tear gas at an angry crowd in Sierra Leone after stones were thrown at officials during a three-day national lockdown.
According to Reuters the unrest came as officials ordered some six million residents to stay inside on pain of arrest as health officials go door-to-door looking for hidden patients in the hopes of accelerating the end of the Ebola epidemic.
A woman who was Liberia's last known patient with Ebola has died, according to a senior health official in the country.
Corporal Anna Cross has thanked doctors after being declared free of Ebola following the help of experimental treatment.
The British military medic became the first person in the world to be treated with the drug MIL 77.
She contracted the potentially deadly virus in Sierra Leone having complained of being "tired" but not ill, as ITV News' Paul Davies reports:
Ebola-free corporal Anna Cross has described how she dealt with the shock of being diagnosed with the potentially deadly virus in Sierra Leone, having not felt particularly ill but just "tired".
She said it "was hard for a few hours and then something in my mind just kicked in as it does in difficult situations and it said 'I have a job to do', which is to get myself back well, and I started to really focus on the people around me".
The 25-year-old was full of praise for the medics at the Royal Free Hospital in London as well as her fellow volunteers in Africa who helped her through the initial stages.
I was looked after by the colleagues that I had worked with and that gave me such confidence because they're total professionals and they were really dedicated to getting me home, to getting my health optimised, to get me on the flight, which they did within less than 24 hours of me being diagnosed, and a fantastic RAF team brought me home.