Ben Stokes will have to wait to discover his Ashes fate until the conclusion of the police investigation with a decision expected next week.Read the full story ›
Jonny Bairstow, Liam Plunkett and Jake Ball have been given formal written warnings and fined for unprofessional conduct following an internal investigation into behaviour within the one-day squad, the governing body has also announced.
More to follow.
Ben Stokes will remain as England vice-captain and has been named in the Ashes Test squad despite his arrest on suspicion of causing ABH.Read the full story ›
Australian Trevor Bayliss has been appointed as the England cricket team's new head coach.
Mr Bayliss, 52, succeeds Peter Moores who was sacked earlier this month following England's dismal World Cup.
One of Bayliss's first tasks will be to guide England through the upcoming Ashes series against his native Australia in July.
Bayliss, who has previously coached Sri Lanka, described his appointment as "an honour".
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) should "hang their heads in shame" over their sacking of coach Peter Moores, according to former captain Alec Stewart.
Moores was dismissed on Saturday shortly after Andrew Strauss was appointed England's director of cricket, though reports of his sacking were leaked during the team's washed-out one-dayer against Ireland on Friday.
Moores, who also spent two year as coach between 2007 and 2009, bore the brunt of criticism for a dismal World Cup, in which England failed to progress from the group stages, and the drawn test series against the West Indies.
"The fact that all these leaks came out the day before the man was officially told - you've got to show a bit of respect to employees," Stewart, England's most capped test cricketer, told the BBC.
Former England captain Michael Vaughan said the dismissal of Moores, who won 19 of his 52 matches in charge across all formats of the game, was "disgraceful", adding that the ECB needed to demonstrate some "quiet authority and integrity".
Kevin Pietersen hit a century as he began his bid to return to the England side by playing for Surrey against MCC Universities Oxford on Sunday.
England face Sri Lanka in their fifth One Day International on Wednesday knowing they must win to keep the series alive.
The ECB have agreed to Cricket Australia’s request for a schedule change to the One-Day International Tri-Series in January following the tragic death of Phil Hughes.
England will now prepare for the series at the Manuka Oval in Canberra with a warm-up game against the Australian Capital Territory XI in which the full squad will participate on January 12, 2015.
They will then face the PM’s XI – also in Canberra – on January 14 before travelling to face Australia in Sydney on January 16 rather than January 18. The remainder of the England schedule remains unchanged.
Brian Havill, ECB’s Acting Chief Executive, said: ‘I am grateful to the England players and management for agreeing to this switch which allows Cricket Australia to re-arrange their international summer following the tragic death of Phillip Hughes.
‘ECB recognise that these are extremely difficult times for the Australian cricket community and we were determined to help Cricket Australia, if at all possible, with their scheduling issues.'
An ECB report distributed to country clubs across England reveal that participation in recreational cricket has fallen by 64,000 over the past year.
More than 5 per cent of games needed to be conceded because at least one of the teams were unable to field a complete side.
The results of the annual National Playing Survey also show that the number of players aged between 14 and 65 has dropped from 908,000 in 2013 to 844,000 this summer.
Kevin Pietersen has responded with disdain to the ECB leaked document cataloguing his alleged behaviour during last winter's Ashes.Read the full story ›