Live updates

Egyptian forces kill 12 after shooting at tourist convoy

Egyptian security forces mistakenly kill 12 tourists in shoot out. Credit: REuters

Egypt's police and military killed 12 Egyptians and Mexicans and injured 10 when they accidentally shot at a Mexican tourist convoy whilst engaging militants in the country's western desert, the ministry of interior said in a statement.

A joint force from the police and military, whilst chasing terrorist elements in the oasis area of the western desert tonight, accidentally engaged four four-wheel drives belonging to a Mexican tourist group.

The incident resulted in the death of 12 Mexicans and Egyptians and the injury of 10 others who have been transferred to hospitals.

– Statement from Egypt's ministry of interior

Yesterday, the so-called Islamic State released a statement it had repelled an attack by the Egyptian military in the western desert leading to heightened security in the area.

The Mexican foreign ministry has confirmed two Mexican nationals were among those killed.

Mexico's president Enrique Peña Nieto has condemned the attack and demanded a full investigation into the incident by the Egyptian government.

UK ambassador 'summoned over Al-Jazeera verdict remarks'

Two of the journalists were led away after the verdict, while a third was sentenced in absentia. Credit: Reuters

Egypt's foreign ministry has summoned the British ambassador over comments he made on a court's decision to hand down prison sentences for three Al-Jazeera journalists, state television reported.

John Casson has suggested that Egypt's stability should be built on freedom of the press and freedom of expression.

On Saturday, the journalists were sentenced to three years for operating without a press licence and broadcasting material said to be harmful to Egypt.

Mohamed Fahmy a naturalised Canadian who has given up his Egyptian citizenship, and Egyptian Baher Mohamed were led away from court after the verdict.

Australian Peter Greste was sentenced in absentia after he was deported from the country in February.

Advertisement

United States 'deeply disappointed' by Al-Jazeera verdict

Three Al-Jazeera English journalists were given three year sentences in Egypt. Credit: Reuters

The US State Department has said it is "deeply disappointed" by the verdict handed down to three Al-Jazeera English journalists in the Egyptian court today.

We urge the government of Egypt to take all available measures to redress this verdict, which undermines the very freedom of expression necessary for stability and development.

– Statement from the US State Department

The journalists were sentenced to three years in prison for operating without a press license and broadcasting material said to be harmful to Egypt.

Minister criticises Egypt over Al-Jazeera sentences

Canadian Al-Jazeera journalist Mohamed Fahmy talks to media before the verdict. Credit: Reuters

The Government has called on Egypt to take urgent action to resolve the position of two British reporters caught up in legal cases against journalists in the country.

Minister for Middle East and North Africa Tobias Ellwood spoke after an Egyptian court sentenced three Al-Jazeera English journalists to three years in prison for broadcasting false news.

Two British journalists, Sue Turton and Dominic Kane, have previously been tried in their absence, and found guilty.

I am deeply concerned by the sentences handed down today against journalists in Egypt. These sentences will undermine confidence in Egypt's progress towards strong long term stability based on implementing the rights granted by the Egyptian constitution.

We have repeatedly raised this case and the restrictions on freedom of expression in Egypt with ministers and senior officials. It is vital that the Egyptian authorities take urgent action to resolve the position of the two British nationals in this case.

– Tobias Ellwood

Greste 'shocked and outraged' after Egypt verdict

Journalist Peter Greste has reacted angrily after an Egyptian court sentenced him and two al-Jazeera colleages to three years in prison for broadcasting "harmful" material.

Mr Greste was sentenced in absentia after being deported in February but Mohamed Fahmy a naturalised Canadian who has given up his Egyptian citizenship, and Egyptian Baher Mohamed were led away from court after the verdict.

Al Jazeera: Journalists' sentencing 'black day' for Egypt

The broadcaster Al Jazeera has condemned an Egyptian court's decision to sentence three of its journalists to three years in prison after a retrial.

In a statement, the channel's general director Mostefa Souag said: "This judgment is a new attack on the freedom of the press and it's a black day in the history of the Egyptian judiciary."

Mohamed Fahmy a naturalised Canadian who has given up his Egyptian citizenship, and Egyptian Baher Mohamed were led away from court after the verdict.

Australian Peter Greste was sentenced in absentia after he was deported in February.

Advertisement

Al-Jazeera verdict 'sends a very dangerous message'

Human rights lawyer Amal Clooney has said the sentencing of three al-Jazeera journalists to three years in jail after a retrial sends a "very dangerous message".

An Egyptian court today ruled that they had operated without a press license and had broadcast harmful material.

Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed were led way after the verdict but Australian Peter Greste was sentenced in absentia after he was deported in February.

Mrs Clooney, who represents Mr Fahmy said: "Everyone has said there is no evidence to sustain any of the charges and Egypt's own Supreme Court when they looked at this case said there wasn't sufficient evidence.

"The verdict today sends a very dangerous message in Egypt. It sends a message that journalists can be locked up for simply doing their job, for telling the truth and reporting the news", she added.

Al-Jazeera journalists sentenced to three years in jail

Journalists Baher Mohamed, (left), and Mohamed Fadel Fahmy, (right). Credit: PA

An Egyptian court has sentenced three Al-Jazeera journalists to three years in prison after a retrial.

It ruled that they had operated without a press license and broadcast material harmful to Egypt, in a case that has triggered an international outcry.

The verdict was issued against Mohamed Fahmy, a naturalised Canadian who has given up his Egyptian citizenship, Baher Mohamed, an Egyptian.

A third journalist Australian Peter Greste was deported in February.

At least six injured in Cairo blast

A minibus with its windscreen shattered by the blast. Credit: Reuters

At least six people have been wounded in the early hours of this morning after an apparent car bomb exploded near a state security building and courthouse in the Egyptian capital city of Cairo.

The Reuters news agency reports that security officials who inspected the site in the Shubra al-Khaima area of the city said there was a burned-out vehicle and crater near the scene.

'Explosions' heard across Egyptian capital Cairo

A map showing Shubra al-Khaima area of Cairo where the blast happened. Credit: Google

Explosions have been heard across central Cairo, with some reports suggesting blasts at the state security building and a courthouse in a northern suburb of the Egyptian capital.

The Reuters news agency reports that witnesses heard several blasts from the Shubra al-Khaima area of the city. There are no official reports of casualties yet.

Reuters also report that one Egyptian security official believes it was a car bomb.

Load more updates