Live updates

Bodies found in search for Belgian fishing boat missing in Channel

The search for the missing trawler has been called off for a second night Credit: Gareth Fuller/PA

Two bodies have been recovered by rescue teams searching for a Belgian trawler missing since Wednesday in the English Channel.

The RNLI confirmed the discovery after lifeboat crews were sent to investigate debris spotted by an aircraft on the French side of the Channel north-west of Boulogne.

The fishing boat was reported missing with four people on board after it disappeared yesterday afternoon in the Dover Strait. The RNLI has called off the search for a second night after darkness fell on one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

"We are aware that two bodies have been recovered," a RNLI spokesman said. "However, this is still an ongoing and sensitive operation."

Major air-sea search for fishing boat suspended

The Coastguard has said that a major air-sea search in the Channel for a fishing boat with four crew members on board has been suspended with nothing found.

Major air-sea search for fishing boat suspended. Credit: PA

Lifeboat and helicopter crews were stood down early this morning following a thorough search for the vessel which vanished in rough seas and gale-force winds.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the fishing crew members were non-UK nationals but was unable to disclose further details about their boat.


Dover coastguard in search for 'overdue fishing boat'

The Dover coastguard has launched a search for an overdue fishing boat with four crew members on board.

In a statement, the Martime and Coastguard Agency said that the Dover coastguard was alerted this afternoon when a boat that had been fishing in the Dover Straight failed to return to port.

A rescue helicopter and the RNLI all-weather lifeboats from Dover and Dungeness are taking part in the search operation.

The weather in the Dover Straight is said to be "challenging", with high winds and rough seas hindering search efforts.

Sailor rescued 11 hours after making mayday call

HMS St Albans located the stricken yacht off the Dorset coast. Credit: Chris Ison/PA Wire

A sailor was rescued 11 hours after issuing a mayday call as his yacht was battered and dismasted by strong winds.

The call for help first went out at 4.50pm yesterday with the Maritime and Coastal Agency getting reports of a trimaran vessel at risk of capsizing.

British navy vessel HMS St Albans located the yacht 18 miles south of Portland, off the coast of Weymouth, just before 4am.

The sailor was thought to be the only person on board and was rescued by the RNLI lifeboat from Weymouth.

It followed a full-scale air and sea search including coastguard rescue helicopters.


Ship search launched over Channel Mayday call

A sea and air search is taking place in the English Channel after a merchant ship reported hearing a Mayday message.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said it was contacted at 4.50pm by the ship's crew who had heard a Mayday message on VHF radio from a trimaran vessel in difficulty.

Ship search launched over English Channel Mayday call. Credit: Google Maps

The message asked for urgent assistance and said the boat was at risk of capsizing. It reported the trimaran's position in latitude and longitude to be 37 miles south of the Needles, off the Isle Of Wight.

Hunt for English Channel crash pilot abandoned

Rescuers have decided not to resume a search for the missing pilot of a light aircraft that crashed in the English Channel, coastguards said.

An air and sea search was mobilised by British and French rescuers after the American-registered single-engine plane, with one person on board, came down in the middle of the Channel yesterday afternoon, about 15 miles off Dungeness in Kent.

The aircraft came down off the coast of Dungeness, marked A. Credit: Google Maps

Wreckage was later found by the French search and rescue helicopter, and last night teams worked against the clock to try to find the missing pilot before suspending the search after light faded.

"Having taken the advice of the RAF as well as the French rescue authorities, we have decided that we won't be resuming the search," a spokesman for Dover Coastguard said today.

Load more updates