A massive manhunt is under way after a father abducted his three-year-old son from his foster parents.
Robert Gurling is only allowed contact with his son under supervision but kidnapped the youngster.
They were last seen in Great Notley near Braintree in Essex at about 10.30am yesterday.
Police search teams and a helicopter have been combing the area in an "urgent" search for the pair but have not found them.
Detectives are appealing to the public to help trace Mr Gurling, who is described as white, in his 40s, 6ft tall and of medium build, with cropped dark brown greying hair and was wearing a grey tracksuit top and jeans.
The boy has blonde hair and was wearing a jacket, grey tracksuit bottoms and red trainers. They may be travelling in a blue car.
Detective Chief Inspector Simon Werrett of Essex Police said: "Anyone who sees them should phone 999 immediately or call Essex Police on 01245 282103."
Essex Police have re-opened a road in central Chelmsford. Duke Street had been closed after a suspicious package was reported but it has now been found to contain "nothing of concern."
Police have closed a road in central Chelmsford after reports of suspicious package near a Royal Navy recruitment office.
An amateur photographer from Essex has captured this stunning picture of a weasel being carried on the back of a woodpecker.Read the full story ›
A Ukip candidate has apologised after he was recorded making a series of offensive remarks about gay people.Read the full story ›
A pod of pilot whales spotted off the Essex coast are being herded out to open water in an effort to stop them becoming beached.
Wildlife experts, the British Divers Marine Life Rescue and Essex Police's marine unit are trying to coax the 40-strong group further out to sea so they avoid becoming stranded on mud flats near the shore.
The whales were spotted sheltering near the Blackwater Estuary, a shallow stretch of water dotted with several shoals and mud flats that could prove deadly to the whales if they become trapped at low tide.
Colchester hospital has warned people to stay away from its accident and emergency department, unless they have a serious or life-threatening condition - restrictions which are expected to last for at least a week.
The announcement follows a surprise inspection by health regulators as ITV news reporter Harry Smith reports:
Hospitals in England are facing chaos in A&E departments and being "overwhelmed by pressure", a shadow health minister has claimed.
After Colchester Hospital reported a "major incident" following concerns raised by a surprise inspection, Labour's Jamie Reed said people "deserve to know how ministers will turn this situation around".
"The Government must make a statement on whether the hospital is safe, has enough staff and if it is providing acceptable care," he added.
Minsters have ignored repeated warnings about the chaos in A&E across England and now whole hospitals are being overwhelmed by the pressure.
By making it harder to get a GP appointment, pushing elderly care services to the brink of collapse and wasting £3 billion on a top-down reorganisation, this Government has caused a crisis in A&E.
The NHS Trust running Colchester Hospital says it is investigating whether staff followed policies appropriately after declaring a "major incident" following an inspection.
Dr Lucy Moore, Chief Executive of Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust said: “The Care Quality Commission raised a small number of safeguarding concerns when its team gave immediate feedback at the end of the inspection on Wednesday.
“The Trust takes safeguarding extremely seriously and is now investigating to find out whether our policies had been followed appropriately.”
Inspectors at Colchester Hospital found a patient had been given a sedative without any evidence that consent had been sought, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) has said.
The health watchdog also found that staff had not followed or reviewed notes of a patient to follow a 'do not resuscitate' notice from a previous admission.
The CQC said the inspection took place after "information of concern" had been brought to its attention.
The hospital has closed its Emergency Assessment Unit after overcrowding and says the public should only visit if they have a "serious or life-threatening condition".