Samuel Eto'o has completed his move from Everton to Sampdoria, the Premier League club have confirmed.
The Cameroonian striker only join the Merseyside outfit in August, scoring four goals in 20 appearances.
Get all the latest transfer rumours as Spurs are set to offer Everton £20m plus either Younes Kaboul or Aaron Lennon for James McCarthyRead the full story ›
Sampdoria have not given up hope of signing Samuel Eto'o but negotiations with Everton are proving more complicated than the Italian club first expected.
Eto'o is reported to have agreed an 18-month contract with the Serie A side and to be willing to reduce his wages by 40 per cent in order to return to Italy, but the 33-year-old has yet to reach an agreement to leave Goodison Park.
Samp had hoped to complete Eto'o's transfer earlier this month but now face competition after the New York Cosmos joined the race to sign the Cameroon forward, who is contracted at Everton until June 2016.
"I haven't been working in football for long and can say this is a strange working environment," Sampdoria president Massimo Ferrero told Sky Italia. "People say one thing and then do another.
"We went to London and then there was a turn of events because nobody can figure out who is in charge at Everton.
"But we are getting to a breakthrough. Eto'o is very eager to come and play at Sampdoria.
"We are down to the last details. What are the chances of the move being completed? Let's be cautious and say 50 per cent."
Sampdoria are optimistic Samuel Eto'o will join them this month despite the Cameroon forward having yet to reach an agreement with Everton to leave the Premier League club.
The 33-year-old, who joined Everton just five months ago after being released by Chelsea, has reportedly agreed an 18-month contract with Samp and is willing to reduce his wages by 40 per cent in order to return to Italy.
Sampdoria are closing in on the signing of Everton striker Samuel Eto'o, according to reports in Italy.
The Genoa outfit, which sold top scorer Manolo Gabbiadini to Napoli earlier this month, are desperately looking to reinforce their attacking line after negotiations aimed at signing Udinese forward Luis Muriel collapsed on Thursday.
Sampdoria met with Eto'o 's representative Claudio Vigorelli on Thursday morning and according to Italian TV station Mediaset, the Cameroon forward has agreed to join the club on a 18-month contract while he has reduced his wages by 40 percent in order to return to Serie A.
The 33-year-old only joined Everton outfit five months ago from Chelsea.
Eto'o has scored three goals in 14 league appearances this season and is under contract with the Toffees until June 2016.
Bangs can be heard as French riot police fire tear gas at Everton fans in Lille.
The city square, covered in litter, much of which appears to be alcohol containers, is filled with smoke.
One man asks police why they are firing tear gas as there are children around.
Watch a clip of the action below:
Video courtesy of Voix Du Nord.
An Everton fan has told ITV News the French police attack on the team's supporters in Lille was unprovoked.
Ellie Taylor said there was nothing malicious from the Everton side before officers fired rubber bullets and tear gas in the city's main square.
Any trouble has now died down ahead of the 6pm Europa League match.
But Ellie said some of her friends suffered stinging eyes and could not see properly from the tear gas.
Greg O'Keeffe, the Liverpool Echo's Everton correspondent, is on the ground in Lille and has tweeted that police have fired rubber bullets at Toffee fans.
Images appeared on Twitter of Everton supporters having congregated en masse at Lille's Grand Place square, and of the French police then arriving and gas having been set off, with the crowd dispersing.
Everton have tweeted to ask their fans to stay away from Lille city centre amid reports that police have released tear gas.
We advise Everton fans in Lille to avoid the main square in the city centre.
Everton have issued a statement following the news that fans were left with injuries after being attacked by hooligans in Lille ahead of the Europa League clash tonight.
A statement issued on Everton's official website on Thursday morning said: "The club has been made aware of an isolated incident in a bar in Lille on Wednesday evening in which a number of Evertonians were attacked by a group of around 50 local men.
"The club understands that two Everton fans suffered minor facial injuries and were taken to the local hospital and that this was the only incident in what was otherwise a good-natured evening in the city centre.
"The club are in continual contact with Merseyside police officers who are in Lille today and the city's police representatives.
"Supporters travelling to tonight's match are advised to utilise the travel information provided on the official website where updates on any safety matters will also be provided."