Brazil and Chelsea playmaker Oscar has been ruled out of this summer's Copa America through injury.
The 23-year-old missed Sunday's Premier League match with Crystal Palace with an unspecified injury, which is understood to not be related to the head knock sustained against Arsenal the previous week.
Oscar wrote on Twitter: "I'm really sad that I can't represent my country in the Copa America because of injury. Thanks to everybody for the well wishes!!"
Chelsea are set to offer manager Jose Mourinho a new four-year deal as a reward for leading his team to the Premier League title.Read the full story ›
Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne has stated he's enjoying life on the south coast and is happy to stay.
The England international has been linked with a move to Manchester United, but is also in talks over a new deal at St Mary's.
"I am enjoying my football for Southampton, playing week-in, week-out and it is an up-and-coming club, so, yeah, I am happy playing for Southampton and happy to stay at Southampton as well," Clyne told the Daily Echo.
"My agent is negotiating, so I will just leave it with my agent and I am just going to concentrate on playing my football."
West Brom have told Wolves winger Bakary Sako to lower his wage demands, if he wants to seal a move to The Hawthorns.
The wideman, who is out of contract in the summer, has had an impressive season in the Championship, but looks give to make the step up to the Premier League.
Sako, however, is reportedly asking for monies beyond West Brom's means, which could scupper any deal.
Africa's richest man Aliko Dangote claims he still harbours hopes of one day buying ArsenalRead the full story ›
We take at look at those fighting for their lives at the bottom of the Premier League table, and assess their chances of survivalRead the full story ›
A group of German TV journalists have been arrested and detained in Qatar for working on a documentary about Sepp Blatter and Fifa's decision to award the 2022 World Cup to the Arab state.
Now it's public. We got arrested in #Qatar, interrogated by the police&the intelligence service.Not allowed to leave the country for days.
ARD German TV reporter Florian Bauer had been working on a film called ‘The Selling of Football: Sepp Blatter and the Power of Fifa,’ which threatened to bring fresh allegations against Fifa's 2022 voting process.
Reporters working for both ARD and WDR were shooting parts of the documentary when they were allegedly arrested, detained and had all of their equipment confiscated.
WDR said in a statement the employees were released 14 hours later, but all of the data had been deleted when it was returned, with some of the equipment also physically damaged.
The WDR team wrote:
We were arrested while shooting with workers in the Qatari capital, Doha, then interrogated by the State Security and only released after 14 hours.
The WDR employees were not allowed to leave Qatar for five days. The camera equipment, laptops and personal mobile phones were confiscated and returned only with a four-week delay. All data has been deleted and pieces of equipment have been damaged.
Everton manager Roberto Martinez would rather hold back Steven Pienaar for pre-season than risk him in their remaining three matches.
The South African has made just one appearance - as a 28th-minute substitute against Swansea on April 11 - since mid-December because of injury.
With Everton having little to play for in their final three games, Martinez would rather the 33-year-old concentrated on getting himself ready for next season.
Stevie is working really hard now to be involved before the season ends but it will be difficult to find out one way or the other. We'll monitor his situation and if he's 100 per cent over the next three weeks it will be great to see him on a football pitch.
If not, we'll make sure he has a good fresh start in pre-season and make sure he's in the best possible shape to have a good campaign. It's a period now where we want Stevie to be fit before the end of the season but, in one way or another, he has to be starting pre-season 100 per cent.
Burnley have appealed against the red card shown to defender Michael Duff in Saturday's defeat to West Ham.
The 37-year-old centre-back was sent off by referee Jon Moss for bringing down Cheikhou Kouyate midway through the first half.
Duff was deemed to have denied the West Ham player a goalscoring opportunity inside the penalty area, with Mark Noble scoring the only goal of the game from the spot as a result of the foul.
Burnley had until 1pm on Tuesday to submit their appeal to the Football Association and, in a statement on burnleyfootballclub.com, they confirmed they had now done so.
Former Tottenham and England striker Jimmy Greaves faces a "long, slow road to recovery" after suffering a severe stroke, his wife has said.
Greaves, 75, was rushed to hospital on Sunday and remains in intensive care.
In a statement, his wife Irene said he was aware of the seriousness of the stroke he suffered.
She said: "Jimmy is having to do what he is told, and understands the seriousness of what has happened to him. It is going to be a long, slow road to recovery and he is in the best possible hands.
"On behalf of Jimmy and our family, We would like to thank the many thousands of you who have voiced your support and concern. We would greatly appreciate it if the media would allow us privacy for what is going to be a long period of rehabilitation."