Live updates

Jurgen Klopp confirmed as Liverpool manager

Former Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp has been confirmed as the new man in charge at Liverpool FC.

Jurgen Klopp (L) and Liverpool will hold a press conference at Anfield on Friday Credit: Liverpool FC

Liverpool made the announcement on its website on Thursday evening, saying the club was "delighted" to make the appointment.

The German signed his contract, which is believed to be a three-year deal, in a city centre hotel after flying into Liverpool John Lennon airport.

The club said on its website: "Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce Jurgen Klopp has been appointed as the club's new manager.

"The German coach has signed a deal to take the helm at the Reds and will be presented at a press conference at Anfield on Friday morning."

Liverpool to unveil Klopp on Friday

Jurgen Klopp will sign a three-year deal. Credit: PA

Liverpool will host a press conference on Friday morning to unveil new manager Jurgen Klopp.

The German will sign a three-year deal at Anfield, having previously managed Bundesliga giants Borussia Dortmund.


Liverpool coaches follow Rodgers out the door

The imminent arrival of Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool's new manager has resulted in a clear-out of many of predecessor Brendan Rodgers' backroom staff.

Press Association Sport understands assistant manager Sean O'Driscoll and first-team coach Gary McAllister - who were only brought in over the summer in an overhaul of coaching personnel - have left their posts.

Gary McAllister has the offer of a new role. Credit: PA

Head of performance Glen Driscoll and head of opposition analysis Chris Davies, who followed Rodgers to Anfield from Swansea in 2012, have also lost their jobs.

It is believed former Reds midfielder McAllister has been offered a role of an ambassadorial nature within the club but has yet to decide whether to take it up.

The former Scotland international took training this morning along with one member of staff in Pep Lijnders, promoted in the summer from the club's academy as a player development coach, who has kept his job.

Man United striker out of England game

Wayne Rooney won't feature against Estonia. Credit: PA

England captain Wayne Rooney is set to miss England's Euro 2016 qualifier against Estonia through injury.

For the third day in succession the 29-year-old forward was unable to train with his international team-mates after an ankle complaint sustained in Manchester United's defeat to Arsenal.

Rooney is set to miss Friday's clash with Estonia as a result and is a major doubt for next week's trip to Lithuania in the Group E finale.

Fifa suspend Blatter and Platini for 90 days

Sepp Blatter has been suspended. Credit: PA

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have both been provisionally banned for 90 days from any football-related activity in a ruling that throws world football into total meltdown.

Fifa secretary-general Jerome Valcke has also been banned for 90 days, and Fifa presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon has been banned for six years and fined 100,000 Swiss francs, Fifa's ethic committee has announced.

Outgoing Fifa president Blatter and Uefa president Platini - who had been favourite to succeed 79-year-old Blatter - will now not be involved in any football activity for the next three months while investigations continue. The 90-day suspension can also be extended by a further 45 days.

A statement from Fifa's ethics committee said: "During this time, the above individuals are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately."

Latest updates: Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini, Valcke and Chung


Man United keeper puts failed move behind him

David de Gea says he has moved on from the "tough" collapse of his transfer to Real Madrid.

After months of speculation, Manchester United and Madrid came to an agreement over the transfer of the goalkeeper to the Bernabeu on deadline day, but the deal fell though at the last minute because the requisite paperwork was not submitted in time.

De Gea has since signed a new contract with United and he is now looking forward to his future with the club.

David De Gea has now signed a new deal. Credit: PA

"I am a guy who likes to put the bad things and difficult moments behind me," the Spain goalkeeper said in an interview with Canal Plus.

"I had a lot of tough times and I know what it is. You have to move forward and keep working just as hard.

"It is a learning process that football gives you, tough moments that make you mature and grow. They are the things you learn from the world of football. You have to keep working and try to improve in every training session."

Platini: Leaks are trying to damage my reputation

Uefa president Michel Platini has said reports that he is to be suspended by Fifa are "insidious" leaks that are "essentially an attempt to damage my reputation".

Platini and FIFA president Sepp Blatter are both facing a provisional 90-day suspension while ethics committee investigations continue into a £1.35million payment made to the Frenchman by FIFA in 2011.

Michel Platini has come out fighting. Credit: PA

Platini said in a statement: "It was reported last night that the investigatory chamber of the FIFA ethics committee intends to recommend to its adjudicatory chamber that I be given a 90-day suspension.

"This is clearly an extremely serious matter - all the more so given that this information appears to have come from an official FIFA source, despite the fact that the ethics committee, which is supposed to act with full independence, has not yet issued its decision.

"This deliberate leak - which is insidious in nature and has come about in an unacceptable manner - is essentially an attempt to damage my reputation."

Stoke City skipper steps up recovery

Ryan Shawcross has had back surgery. Credit: PA

Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross hopes to continue building steadily towards a first-team return after stepping up his rehabilitation from back surgery by coming through 45 minutes of under-21s football on Wednesday.

The centre-back made his first appearance since the summer operation - which he underwent in a bid to clear up a long-standing problem - when he played the first half of the development team's 1-1 draw at Port Vale.

It was always planned to play 45 minutes. I've got a few niggles just from coming back so I need to let them settle down and hopefully I can kick on again next week.

I felt good. It's just a case of building on it now. Hopefully next week I can get a 70-minute game in and then move on to a full game in the coming weeks.

It's up to the manager (Mark Hughes) to see when I can get back involved. I haven't trained with the first team yet so I'll look forward to doing that.

But I will stay with the under-21s for probably another week or so. It's all about game time and then we'll see after that. At the moment I'm trying to make sure I get the right minutes and the training between them is right.

– Ryan Shawcross speaking to The Sentinel
Load more updates