Live updates

Jockey Dettori waits on verdict after failed drugs test

Frankie Dettori
Frankie Dettori tested positive for a banned substance in September. Credit: David Davies/PA Wire

Jockey Frankie Dettori must wait until tomorrow to discover his fate after a stewards' hearing into his failed drugs test.

French racing governing body France Galop is expected to hand the 41-year-old rider a six-month ban following his positive test for a banned substance at Longchamp in September.

Dettori's solicitor Christopher Stewart Moore was in Paris for this morning's hearing but said he would not comment on the case until France Galop have published their decision.

Frankie Dettori suspended from riding in France after positive drugs test

Frankie Dettori tested positive for a banned substance last week. Credit: PA

Frankie Dettori has been temporarily suspended from riding in France due to this week's case over his positive test for a banned substance.

The 41-year-old made his representation via conference call at the Medical Committee of the French racing authority, France Galop, in Paris on Tuesday.

However, the file has been passed on to the French stewards, who will pass judgement within a fortnight.

A statement from France Galop read: "Following yesterday's examination of the file and after having duly notified the jockey Lanfranco Dettori of its decision, the Medical Committee has temporarily suspended the said jockey from riding in races in France, based on medical grounds.

"According to article 143 of the Rules of Racing, the Medical Committee's report has been passed on to the France Galop stewards. The France Galop stewards will be studying the file within the next fortnight before deciding what action will be taken in accordance with the Rules of Racing."

Advertisement

Frankie Dettori to face inquiry after 'positive test'

Jockey Frankie Dettori at Ascot last month. Credit: PA

Frankie Dettori is to face a France Galop inquiry next week after a 'positive test' at Longchamp in September, the rider's legal representative has revealed.

Solicitor Christopher Stewart-Moore released a statement with the news the Medical Committee of the French authority are planning a hearing.

The statement, issued to Press Association Sport, said:

"On behalf of Frankie Dettori I can confirm that, as a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16 2012, he will be the subject of an inquiry by the Medical Committee of France Galop next week.

"In compliance with, and out of respect for, the regulations of France Galop, he will not be commenting further until the France Galop procedures have been completed."

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories