Live updates

Freddie Starr re-bailed over sex claims

Comedian Freddie Starr has been re-bailed until October by police investigating alleged sexual offences.

The 70-year-old was first arrested last November by detectives from Operation Yewtree, the national investigation prompted by abuse claims against Jimmy Savile.

Freddie Starr has consistently denied any wrongdoing. Credit: Ian West/PA Wire

Starr was re-arrested in April when further allegations against him emerged.

He was due to answer police bail this week, but has instead been re-bailed until October.

Advertisement

Freddie Starr re-bailed

Freddie Starr's lawyer said the comedian is hopeful he will be able to clear his name after he was re-bailed following his arrest by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.

Starr, 70, was re-bailed until 28 August after he was due to answer bail today.

Comedian Freddie Starr. Credit: Reuters

His lawyer, Dean Dunham, said: "Mr Starr was due to answer bail today, Wednesday June 19. However, the police have decided to re-bail him to August 28 and in the circumstances he was not required to attend the police station today.

"Mr Starr has maintained his innocence throughout and has assisted the police with their inquiries at all times.

"We are hopeful that the police inquiries are drawing close to a conclusion at which time Mr Starr will be able to confirm that he has publicly cleared his good name and reputation."

Lawyer: Not right to named suspects until charged

After the naming of a number of celebrities being investigated over sex abuse allegations, questions have been asked as to whether its right to name suspects before charges are brought.

Lawyer Dean Dunham, who has been representing Freddie Starr as police investigate claims of this nature, has said that suspects should not be named until they are charged.

He told Daybreak: "When you're accused it means the police have had an allegation about you. It does not mean you are guilty. It means the police have got cause to go and investigate".

Freddie Starr has denied any wrongdoing and Mr Dunham has previously said he is has been "insistent upon helping the police with their enquiries so that he can clear his name".

Starr 'insistent upon helping police to clear his name'

Freddie Starr's solicitor has confirmed he was re-arrested yesterday over new sex abuse allegations:

Mr Starr assisted the police with their enquiries as he has always done in this matter.

He maintains his innocence throughout and has been insistent upon helping the police with their enquiries so that he can clear his name.

We are hopeful that the police enquiries will draw to a conclusion soon at which time Mr Starr will be able to confirm that he has publicly cleared his good name and reputation.

– Freddie Starr's solicitor DEAN DUNHAM

Starr's re-arrest not linked to Savile

Freddie Starr pictured at the British Comedy Awards in 2011. Credit: Empics

The investigation under which Starr has been re-arrested is the national inquiry sparked after allegations of abuse were made against Jimmy Savile.

It has been split into three strands - allegations against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.

Starr was originally arrested under the "Savile and others" strand, but the re-arrest was not linked to Savile.

He has previously denied any wrongdoing.

Advertisement

Freddie Starr re-bailed following arrest by Savile police

Freddie Starr has been re-bailed following his arrest by police officers investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.

Freddie Starr was arrested in November as part of Operation Yewtree. Credit: Press Association

The 69-year-old was arrested on November 1. He has been re-bailed to return on a date in March, pending further inquiries, police said.

Freddie Starr cancels gig to 'concentrate on defending allegations'

Comedian Freddie Starr has cancelled a show in Swindon, Wiltshire to concentrate on defending the allegations made against him.

The 69-year-old was arrested by officers investigating allegations made against the former children's TV presenter Jimmy Savile.

Following the weekend, we have held further discussions with Freddie Starr and his management team and have agreed that the show will no longer take place at the Wyvern Theatre on Wednesday 7 November.

Freddie apologises to the hundreds of loyal fans who had purchased tickets, but hopes they understand that he is concentrating on defending the allegations made against him. We will be contacting customers to refund their tickets.

– Wyvern Theatre

Visit ITV West for more on this story.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories