A seven-year-old boy has disappeared as he travelled to a friend's house, police say.Read the full story ›
Jo Milne from Gateshead went viral when a video of her hearing for the first time was posted online. Now she is preparing for a new battle.Read the full story ›
A drug addict whose sickening attack on a disabled pensioner caused outrage around the world will be sentenced later.Read the full story ›
A woman who broke down in tears when she heard for the first time in 39 years said the most beautiful sound in the world is a baby's laugh.Read the full story ›
Two teenage girls claim they were threatened with beheading by two men as they left an Army Reserve centre.Read the full story ›
The online fund to help disabled pensioner Alan Barnes after he was mugged last week has been halted by his family, the woman who set it up has said. Over £329,000 has been raised for Alan after beautician Katie Cutler set up a fundraising page six days ago, she say his family are very grateful.
There will be a presentation in due course when a cheque will be handed over to the 4ft 6in visually-impaired 67-year-old.
Ms Cutler, 21, wrote on the Alan Barnes Fund page:
Good morning, after speaking with Alan & his family, they have asked me to stop any further donations to his fund.
He is very grateful for all your love, support & donations.
Police investigating an attempted robbery on disabled pensioner Alan Barnes just over a week ago have made a fresh appeal for information.
Mr Barnes was approached by another man who pushed him to the ground and demanded money on January 25. It happened at around 6.30pm on Hillside Place in Gateshead.
Mr Barnes, 67, suffered a broken collar bone. His disability means he is partially sighted and is just 4ft 6ins tall.
"The investigation into the incident is ongoing and I'd like to reassure people we are determined to find the man who did this to Mr Barnes.
"It has left him feeling vulnerable, but thankfully he has seen the kindness of others who are helping him through his plight.
"But the main thing for us is to find the person responsible for this cowardly assault against a man unable to defend himself and we need the public's help.
"We do not have a description or direction of travel of the offender but someone will know something about the man involved.
"We do have potential forensic evidence which we've recovered, so I'd urge people to get in touch with information, no matter how insignificant they feel it may be, it could prove to be vital.
"It could be people in the area of Hillside Place have private CCTV which may have captured important information. I'd ask anyone with information to get in touch with us, anonymously if necessary."
Police can be contacted on 101.
Alan Barnes, the pensioner who was said he didn't feel safe in his home after being viciously attacked by thugs, met the young woman who started an online donation page for him.
No predicted the £500 pounds she'd hoped to raise soaring to over a quarter of a million. Sejal Karia reports on the tears that were shed today
Donations to the fund set up for disabled pensioner Alan Barnes has passed a quarter of a million pound mark.
Earlier today, Barnes met Katie Cutler, a local 21-year-old who set up the web page to try and raise £500. He said he was overwhelmed by people's generosity.
Alan Barnes says he is absolutely amazed and overwhelmed by the outpouring of generosity which has seen thousands donated to help him move home.
The 67-year-old says he is too sacred to return home after being attacked as he took the bins out.
Today he met with Katie Cutler, the local 21-year-old who set up web page to try to raise £500. That total is now more than £200 thousand.