Israeli aircraft bombed a Hamas militant base in the Gaza Strip for the first time since the end of a war in the territory, in response to a rocket that militants launched earlier in the day, the army said.
The bombs struck in the Khan Younis area in the southern Gaza Strip. Local hospital officials said there were no casualties.
The militant rocket fired earlier landed in a field in southern Israel and no one was injured.
Palestinian Islamist group Hamas should be removed from a European Union list of terror groups, a court has ruled.
The General Court of the European Union said, however, that member states could maintain their freeze on the group's assets for three months to give time for further review or to appeal.
The court said the previous decision to name Hamas on the list had been based on media reports rather than considered analysis.
Hamas says it is a legitimate resistance movement and welcomed the verdict.
However, Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu quickly called on Europe to return Hamas to the list immediately, denouncing it as "a murderous terrorist organisation".
Israeli forces have carried out the threat of their Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to settle scores with the Palestinian terrorists who murdered five people in a Jerusalem synagogue yesterday.
The home of one of the killers' families was blown up.
Today, faithful to their religious routine, Jewish worshippers were back at the synagogue where the killings took place.
From there, ITV News Middle East Correspondent, Geraint Vincent, reports:
Worshippers have today returned to a Jerusalem synagogue where four rabbis and a policeman were killed by armed raiders yesterday, vowing they would not be intimidated.
The bloodstains have been washed away and four memorial candles lit, with officers now stationed outside the Kehillat Bnei Torah synagogue amid fears of growing violence.
Among the dead was British-Israeli rabbi Avraham Shmuel Goldberg, originally from Liverpool. He and three American rabbis were killed during morning prayers by two Palestinian militants, while the policeman died later from his injuries.
One member of the synagogue, Avraham Burkei, said the congregation would not be cowed into changing their routine.
It's a little scary, but we're going to have to go on with our lives.
We're staying here, we're not moving anywhere. This terrorist attack is not going to change anything.
Pope Francis has voiced concern over rising tensions and violence in Jerusalem, as he condemned a violent attack at a synagogue which left five people dead.
Two Palestinian men stormed into the Bnei Torah Kehilat Yaakov synagogue yesterday morning and killed four Rabbis, including a British-Israeli. A policeman later died of his injuries.
The men, who were armed with a meat cleaver and a knife, were shot dead in a gunfight with police at the scene.
In his first appearance since yesterday’s attack, Pope Francis told St Peter’s Square:
I'm following with concern the alarming increase in tension in Jerusalem and other areas of the Holy Land, with unacceptable episodes of violence that do not spare even religious sites.
The attack was the latest in a string of violence in recent weeks in a dispute over Jerusalem’s holiest site, known to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount.
Israeli security forces have today blown up the house of a Palestinian man who ran over and killed three people, including a three-month-old baby girl, at a tram stop in Jerusalem last month.
It comes just a day after two militants killed four rabbis and a policeman in an attack at a synagogue in the city.
The military said the home of 21-year-old Abdel-Rahman Shaloudi was destroyed shortly before dawn.
Shaloudi was shot dead by police as he tried to run after mowing down the commuters on October 22, which his family claim was nothing more than an accident.
His house, in the Silwan area of Jerusalem, has been the scene of several confrontations since the incident.
The Israeli army has recently begun carrying out court-sanctioned demolitions of militants’ homes again, after giving up the practice in 2005.
A fifth person has died following the attack on a synagogue in Jerusalem, a police spokesperson has confirmed to ITV News.
The fifth victim was a police man, and one of the first to respond to the attack, local media sources said.
Thousands of mourners have been attending the funerals of the four people killed in an attack by Palestinian militants on a synagogue in Jerusalem earlier today.
Among the dead is a 68-year-old Rabbi originally from Liverpool, who has duel Israeli-British citizenship. His family have told ITV News they are shell-shocked by his senseless murder. President Obama condemned the killings, saying there was no justification for attacks against innocent civilians, whilst Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to respond with a "heavy hand".
Middle East Correspondent Geraint Vincent reports.
The former Foreign Office minister said it was important to see the attacks as part of a wider increase in tensions in the region.Read the full story ›