The R&A has announced that Royal Portrush in Northern Ireland will host the Open Championship in 2019, only the second time golf's oldest major will have been played outside England and Scotland.
Portrush has not hosted a major championship since the 1951 Open won by Max Faulkner, but the Irish Open drew massive crowds there in 2012 and the likes of major champions Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell have been lobbying on Portrush's behalf.
Former R&A chief executive Peter Dawson had previously cited the record-breaking attendance at the 2012 Irish Open as both an ''eye opener'' and ''tipping point'' when it came to deliberations about taking the tournament across the Irish sea.
In August last year, club members voted overwhelmingly in favour of the course changes required to host the Open, which will be staged from July 18-21.
Jordan Spieth has replaced Rory McIlroy as world number one after finishing second to Jason Day in the US PGA Championship.
McIlroy finished 17th at Whistling Straits on his return to action following the ankle injury which kept him out of the Open and Bridgestone Invitational, two tournaments he won last year.
And that meant Spieth became the second youngest player after Tiger Woods to top the rankings, despite being unable to claim a record-equalling third major title in one season.
Day's first major title lifts him from fifth to third and means the world's top three are aged 22, 26 and 27 respectively.
Jordan Spieth stormed into contention for an historic third major title in 2015 after a dramatic third round of the US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits.
Spieth was five shots behind with just two holes to play as Jason Day threatened to take control with six threes in succession from the ninth, including four birdies and an eagle.
However, the gap was suddenly reduced to two when Spieth birdied the 17th as Day was taking two shots to get out of bunker to double bogey the 15th, and it was down to one when Spieth carded his sixth birdie in eight holes to complete a stunning back nine of 30 and a flawless 65.
Day responded superbly with a birdie from 25 feet on the 17th to shoot 66 and finish 15 under par, two shots clear of Spieth with England's Justin Rose and South African Branden Grace one shot further back.
Masters and US Open champion Spieth is now 50 under par for this year's majors as he looks to become only the second player after Ben Hogan and Tiger Woods to win three majors in a season - Woods was 53 under in winning the US Open, Open and US PGA in 2000.
Former world number one Tiger Woods refused to confirm whether his season was over after missing the cut for the third straight major in the US PGA Championship.
Woods added a 73 to his opening 75 when the delayed second round was completed at Whistling Straits on Saturday, finishing two shots outside the cut on four over par.
"I hit it good enough to be where I needed to be, but I putted awful,'' said Woods, who was 17th in the Masters in April but is a combined 22 over par for this year's major championships.
"I finally figured something out today on the putting green, but the damage had already been done. Finally rolled the ball coming in and unfortunately it was too little, too late.''
Asked how much it hurt to make early exits from the US Open, Open Championship and US PGA, Woods said: "It's frustrating to miss any cuts because any time you miss a cut, you don't have a chance to win the event.
Former US Open champion Rose was one shot off the lead with just one hole remaining when play was suspended on Friday due to a thunderstormRead the full story ›
World number one Rory McIlroy has confirmed his intention to defend his US PGA Championship title this weekend at Whistling Straits.
McIlroy has spent the past few days practising on the Wisconsin course, having been sidelined since early July when he suffered a rupture of his left ankle ligaments during a game of football with friends.
However, he has said he is now fit and ready to return.
"If anything, my ankle feels even better when I swing hard," he told the Daily Mail.
The 26-year-old's injury ruled him out of the Scottish Open and the defence of his Open but he has been playing since the Monday that Zach Johnson inherited his Open crown.
"I've played a lot of golf since then, just finding the middle of the clubface again," he said. "And I've been chipping and putting basically since it happened, with my protective boot on...
"I did think about coming back last week at the Bridgestone but Steve (McGregor, his fitness coach) held me back. He thought it important for me to basically play a tournament behind closed doors and after I completed that successfully, it felt the right time to come.
"I'm ready to play and I expect to do well."
American golfer Zach Johnson has won the 2015 Open Championship at St Andrews.
Johnson, 39, claimed the second major of his career after beating Australian Marc Leishman and Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa in a dramatic four-hole play-off.
The American, who was overcome with emotion, described his victory as "extremely surreal".
"I feel blessed to be the champion," he told the BBC.
I feel honoured to be part of the history of this game and to don my name on that trophy, especially with the names before me. Humbling and surreal are two words that come to mind.
The Open Championship will have a Monday finish for only the second time in its history after high winds postponed play on Saturday.
With 42 golfers still to complete their second rounds - having managed just 32 minutes' play after returning at 7am this morning before being blown off St Andrews' Old Course - there is no possibility of completing the remainder of the tournament in time.
Organisers the R&A made the decision to extend the event into a fifth day with the plan to finish round two on Saturday, and the third and fourth rounds to follow on Sunday and Monday.
High winds have forced the postponement of the 144th Open with no resumption before 3pm - raising the realistic prospect of a Monday finish for only the second time in the championship's history.
Forty-two players returned to the Old Course at St Andrews to resume their second rounds - as a result of three-hour rain delay yesterday morning - at 7am on Saturday but were literally blown off course.
Play was only possible for 32 minutes before gusts of 45mph started moving balls on the greens and the decision was made to the take the players back off.
Heavy rain in Scotland forced play to be suspended at the 144th Open Championship on Friday morning.Read the full story ›