Live updates


Man bailed after ambulance crash

Police are continuing to appeal for witnesses following a collision involving an ambulance and a car in the New Forest.

A driver arrested in connection with the incident on the A337 yesterday morning has been bailed until July 29.

The 25-year-old, who was driving a blue Seat Alhambra, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by driving without due care and attention.

Both the car and the ambulance were heading north on Lyndhurst Road when, for reasons yet to be established, the ambulance came off the road and hit a tree.



Police officer's death: 'immensely sad day'

Hampshire Police have confirmed that a police officer has died following a road traffic collision in Thomas Lewis Way, Swaythling. The police officer was on duty and riding an unmarked police motorcycle when he was in collision with a silver BMW outside the Shell petrol station at around 2pm.

He was taken to Southampton General Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival. His immediate next of kin and colleagues have been informed. The driver of the BMW, a 35-year-old man, sustained serious, but not life-threatening injuries. He was taken to Southampton General Hospital for treatment.

Chief Constable Andy Marsh said: “This is an immensely sad day for the constabulary and the force will be deeply affected".


Statement from Selborne Primary School

A Hampshire school has been closed as the result of a police incident nearby. Selbourne C of E Primary School has released a statement online.

We are sorry that we have had to close the school today, Wednesday 13th March, due to a police incident in the local area. The road to the school is closed. We will update the website when we have any further information."

– Statement on the school's website

School closed in police incident

Hampshire Police has posted a statement on its Facebook page saying that a school in the county is closed while it deals with an incident in Selborne.

Police are currently dealing with an incident in Selborne. Motorists are advised to avoid the B3006. The road is completely closed from its junction with the A31 at Alton and the A3 at Greatham. The local primary school is likely to be closed this morning and parents are advised to check through usual channels before setting off. We will update you with more information when we have it."

– Hampshire Police on Facebook



Breaking News: Woman kidnapped at gunpoint

A woman in her 60s was kidnapped at gunpoint during an armed robbery in the New Forest. The robber threatened her and her husband at their home in Lymington. He then stole their car and forced the woman to go with him. She wasn't hurt and was dropped off home 15 minutes later.

The robber then drove away, taking about £100 cash with him. No shots were fired. Hampshire Police are now appealing for the robber to give himself up. Chief Inspector Tony Rowlinson said: "I am appealing directly to the suspect to consider the consequences of his actions.

"We understand you might be facing personal and painful circumstances in which you feel trapped and desperate for money. However, think long and hard about the distress and fear you are causing. I am imploring you to explore your conscience and do the right thing by contacting police."

Man held over pensioner's death

A man has been arrested in connection with the murder of an 85-year-old pensioner found bludgeoned to death in her home.

The 24-year-old, from the Bitterne area of Southampton, was arrested on suspicion of the murder of Delia Hughes this morning.

A Hampshire Police spokeswoman said:

"The man remains in police custody at this time and is being interviewed by detectives from the Hampshire Major Investigation Team (HMIT)."

Police to name Isle of Wight boy after formal identification

Immediate next-of-kin of the 14-year-old boy who died after he fell from a boat in the Isle of Wight, have now been informed but police will not confirm his name until formal identification has been completed, police said.

An initial post-mortem examination will take place in the next few days.

Although the death is not being treated as suspicious, it is routine procedure for specialist detectives to make initial inquiries into the sudden death of someone aged under 18.

We are providing support for the other three people on board the boat to help ensure their welfare, and to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the death.

A second 14-year-old boy from Surrey received a serious injury, which was not life-threatening. He is receiving treatment at St Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight.

An adult man and a third 14-year-old boy from Surrey were not injured.

– Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Floyd Higginson from Hampshire Police

The boy who died had been airlifted to Southampton General Hospital by a Coastguard rescue helicopter. For more information visit the ITV Meridian website.


Today's top stories