Two teenagers have died in an apparent suicide pact after being hit by a train in Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. Their headteacher tonight described them as talented, hard-working and respected members of Hertswood Academy.
A friend said "Instead of dwelling on what just happened, we should be happy we were blessed enough to have known [either of] them." This report is from Tom Barton.
The identity of the 18-year-old man, who was died after being hit by a train in Hertfordshire, has not been released at the request of his family. Police earlier named 15-year-old Charleigh Disbrey as the other person who died in the incident. Both were from the Borehamwood area.
Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the two teenagers involved in last night’s tragic and acutely sad incident. Although my officers are continuing their investigations, as part of our work to prepare a file for the local Coroner, there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances and no one else is believed to have been involved.
Colleagues from Hertfordshire Constabulary are also in a local secondary school to provide comfort and support to students and staff at this very difficult time.
The schoolgirl who died in the Hertfordshire train incident last night is believed to be 15-year-old Charleigh Disbrey from the Borehamwood area, British Transport Police said today.
Two teenagers killed after being hit by a train at a Hertfordshire train station are believed to have been pupils at the Hertswood Academy in Borehamwood.
A statement on the academy's website today said: "At the start of the school day today we were contacted by the British Transport Police to inform us of an incident that had occurred overnight involving two of our students.
"From the details that we have been given we believe that two of our students, one in Year 10 and one in Year 13, have tragically died."
The statement went on: "Students and staff have been informed this morning and we are offering counselling to those affected by this tragedy. We will be closely monitoring the well-being of all students in the coming days and offering any necessary support.
"Our thoughts are obviously with the parents and families of those who have died and we would ask all to respect their privacy at this most difficult time."
British Transport Police say they are not treating the deaths as suspicious. A spokesman said:
"BTP and Hertfordshire Constabulary officers were called to Elstree and Borehamwood station on Monday, 17 June following a report that two people had been struck by a train.
The incident was reported to BTP at 8.57pm.
Medics also attended the incident, but sadly a male and female, both believed to be teenagers, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Officers are currently investigating to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident, which is currently being treated as non-suspicious.”
Two teenagers have been killed after being struck by a train at a station in Hertfordshire.
It is believed the teenage boy and girl - thought to be in their late teens - were already on the tracks when they were hit by the train just before 9pm last night.
Paramedics arrived on the scene quickly but soon realised there was nothing they could do to help the two.
The St Albans to Sutton service train involved in the incident wasn't carrying any passengers.
East of England Ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson said: "First and foremost our thoughts are with the families and all involved in this tragic incident.
"On arrival it was evident nothing could be done and both patients were pronounced dead shortly after."
Breast cancer survivor Vicky Ayech, said she had not eaten for 24 hours when she was in hospital for surgery on her breast.
The 67-year-old from Hertfordshire added:
I was taken up to the ward by 8.30pm after surgery on my breast - I was so hungry as I'd not eaten for 24 hours.
I was given a menu but didn't get any food until 11pm, and then it was only bread and jam.
After such an experience with nurses busy and impatient, I got myself discharged the next morning, earlier than was wise in retrospect.
The grandmother of a young woman who was found dead in a hotel swimming pool said she was a "lovely girl" who "did not drink alcohol or smoke".
Theresa Farma said shop manager Komba Kpakiwa, who also drowned in the pool at the luxury hotel, had planned the getaway to surprise his student girlfriend.
Speaking from her southeast London home, which she shared with 22-year-old Josephine Newahun Foday, Miss Farma said:
She was a lovely girl, happy and smiley,
She was very quiet, she went to church and did not drink alcohol or smoke. She wanted to be a nurse. To help people.
We wish to reiterate our condolences to the friends and families of the lady and gentleman concerned.
Both myself and the team at the hotel are deeply upset by what has happened.
The results of the post-mortem examination have concluded that the deaths of the two people were consistent with drowning, which puts an end to inappropriate speculation about our facilities.