Heston Blumenthal said he is "very sorry for the "inconvenience" caused to people whose bookings have been cancelled this week at his restaurant Dinner, following a norovirus outbreak.
The celebrity chef told The Mail on Sunday that closing the London restaurant for a week might seem "rather extreme and over cautious" after the virus affected 45 diners and workers, but said that guests and staff were his main concern.
"My goal has always been to pursue perfection in the kitchen and to amaze our guests with taste sensations beyond their imagination, rather than expose them to the risk of a really nasty couple of days of heaving," he told the newspaper.
Blumenthal said that many schools and businesses had been affected worse than the restaurant, but he had temporarily closed Dinner "to be 100 per cent sure" the virus had been contained.
Westminster City Council said that its food safety officers are working with Heston Blumenthal's Dinner and Public Health England over a norovirus outbreak at the restaurant.
A norovirus outbreak at Heston Blumenthal's exclusive two Michelin-starred Dinner restaurant has affected 45 diners and members of staff.
A total of 24 diners and 21 members of staff were taken ill at the restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Hyde Park, Westminster City Council said.
Dinner, which opened in 2011, specialises in historical English food and a meal for two can cost around £190.
Its website said that it was expected to remain closed for a week from today.
TV chef Heston Blumenthal has closed his gourmet London restaurant for a week after a virus outbreak.
45 diners and staff were infected with norovirus at the Dinner restaurant, in the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Hyde Park.
Mr Blumenthal has apologised to the customers affected.
It's not the first time one of the chef's restaurants has been hit by the stomach bug.
In 2009 his most famous venue, The Fat Duck in Bray, was closed for 10 days following an outbreak that left 500 people sick.
Two chefs from Heston Blumenthal's Michelin-starred restaurant The Fat Duck have been killed in a car accident in Hong Kong.
The death of the two staff members, aged 30 and 34, in the incident involving a taxi and two double decker buses has been confirmed by the restaurant in Bray, Berkshire.
A restaurant spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that two members of Heston Blumenthal's culinary team were tragically killed in a car accident in Hong Kong.
"They were both senior members and great and dear friends. Two uniquely talented young chefs that were loved by everyone who worked with them. They will be sadly and deeply missed."
Michelin-starred celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal carried the Olympic Torch through part of Slough.
He said: "I had no idea there were going to be this many people here. I've got a proper lump in my throat.
"The turnout is incredible. The energy - this is what the Olympics is all about."
Heston Blumenthal's Michelin starred restaurant The Fat Duck has dropped out of the top 10 on the world's best restaurants list.
In 2005 the restaurant in Bray, Berks, one of the only restaurants in the UK to have three Michelin stars, was crowned the world's best but it has now slipped to 13th place.
Despite the drop in the Fat Duck's ranking, Mr Blumenthal's new London restaurant, Dinner, was the highest placed UK restaurant in the list at number nine.
It also won the award for the highest new entry.
The rankings were announced in London as part of the World's 50 Best Restaurants survey by Restaurant Magazine.