The former police chief in charge of the criminal investigation into the Hillsborough disaster has decided to step down from the role due to health issues.
The Home Office confirmed Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddart would leave his post after nearly four years heading Operation Resolve, which is probing the planning and preparation for the 1989 FA Cup semi-final where 96 Liverpool fans died.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd paid tribute to Mr Stoddart and said his replacement would be named shortly, with the investigation's work unaffected by the change.
I would like to thank Jon Stoddart for the strong, dedicated leadership he has brought to Operation Resolve since December 2012. I am sure this was a very difficult decision for him to make.
Everyone involved with Operation Resolve is absolutely clear that their work will continue apace, it remains on schedule and I look forward to announcing Jon's successor in due course.
The inquiry, which runs alongside an IPCC investigation into the conduct of South Yorkshire Police, is due to deliver evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service by the end of the year.
Paul Grange said he was deeply ashamed of his actions and had deservedly lost his job, friends and relationship contacts over the incident.Read the full story ›
Paul Grange had been charged with a public order offence relating to abusive writing likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.Read the full story ›
The police officer in charge on the day of the Hillsborough disaster has spoken publicly for the first time since the end of the inquests.Read the full story ›
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hailed the special character of the city and his team as they prepare for the Europa League final.Read the full story ›
The Home Secretary has told the Police Federation annual conference that lessons must be learned from the Hillsborough disaster.Read the full story ›
There are calls for an inquiry into South Yorkshire Police's Battle of Orgreave investigation due to links with the Hillsborough disaster.Read the full story ›
A former police press officer claims she was asked to emphasise evidence that were positive for the police during the Hillsborough inquest.Read the full story ›
The city will also award the honour posthumously to the 96 people who died at Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989.Read the full story ›
Joe Smith spotted footage of his rescue in a recent BBC documentary and now wants to thank the "hero" who saved his life.Read the full story ›