Hong Kong Police have laid a "holding charge" against a 29-year-old foreign man in connection with a double murder. He is believed to be British bank employee Rurik Jutting.
A police statement said:
Police today (November 3) laid a holding charge against a 29-year-old man with two counts of murder.
Police arrested the man on November 1 in suspected connection with a murder case in a unit at 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai in the small hours on the same day in which a foreign woman aged between 25 and 30, and another woman were killed.
The arrestee will appear before Eastern Magistrates' Courts today.
A man arrested in Hong Kong after the bodies of two women were found in an apartment has been named in reports as British national Rurik Jutting.
Hong Kong Police have launched a murder investigation following the discovery of the women at an address in Wan Chai district in the early hours of yesterday.
Police have been searching the apartment building where the bodies were found in Hong Kong.
The apartment is on the 31st floor in an expensive block popular with financial professionals.
The man arrested in connection with the murder of two women found dead in a Hong Kong apartment is an employee of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Reuters has reported.
Reuters cited "a source with direct knowledge of the situation" while adding that a spokewoman for the bank in New York had declined to comment.
The Foreign Office has confirmed a British national has been held in Hong Kong. The Press Association reports the arrest is in connection with the double murder investigation.
The body of one of two women found dead in a Hong Kong flat - which has reportedly led to the arrest of a British national - was found inside a suitcase on the balcony, local police have said.
Hong Kong Police statement said the other female - aged between 25 and 30 - was found with wounds to her neck and buttock and confirmed dead at the residence in the Wan Chai district.
Police said the victim found inside a suitcase had sustained neck injuries and confirmed a knife was found at the scene.
The statement added the 29-year-old foreign man was being detained for enquiries after being arrested for murder at the scene.
A British man has been arrested over a double murder in Hong Kong, the Press Association have reported.
Police in the former UK colony said a 29-year-old man was held after the bodies of two women were found at an address in the Wan Chai district.
The Foreign Office confirmed a Briton had been arrested.
We can confirm that a British national has been arrested in Hong Kong.
We are in touch with the local police and stand ready to provide consular assistance.
The superhero appeared to join pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong which have been going on for over a month.Read the full story ›
Dozens of people were injured in clashes over the weekend in the densely populated Mong Kok district of Hong Kong.
Local media said 22 police officers were injured over the weekend and four people were arrested for assault.
This morning, calm has been been restored, and protesters remain on the streets. Talks between student protesters and the government are scheduled tomorrow and will be broadcast live. Student Woody Wong, one of those camped out overnight said:
I don't expect much from tomorrow's meeting, but I still hold some hope for the talks. I will keep doing this until the government listens to our voice.
More violent clashes erupted in Hong Kong overnight as pro-democracy protesters appeared increasingly willing to confront police.
The territory's 28,000-strong police force has struggled to contain a youth-led movement that has shown little sign of waning after three weeks of standoffs.
Demonstrators in the Mongkok district launched a fresh assault early on Sunday, putting on helmets and goggles before surging forward to grab a line of metal barricades.
Hundreds of police officers hit out at a wall of umbrellas that protesters used to fend off police pepper spray.
The clashes came hours after Hong Kong's pro-Beijing leader Leung Chun-ying said talks would be held on Tuesday and broadcast live on television.
Pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong have retaken an area in Mong Kok following hours of clashes with police.
Police were forced to pull back after encountering thousands of protesters, who are angry at China's plans to screen candidates for elections in 2017.
Eighteen people were injured in the scuffles, with witnesses claiming that police used batons and pepper spray in a bid to defend the area.
The clashes come just hours after Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying offered talks with student leaders next week in an attempt to defuse the protests, which have raged on for three weeks.