The fire started in Sejong Hospital's emergency room and had engulfed the first floor when firefighters arrived.Read the full story ›
Two-year-old Sophie spent six days on life-support after battery acid burnt a hole in her lung, but has since made a full recovery.Read the full story ›
An independent report by The King's Fund has identified pressures in a number of areas of hospitals - not just in emergency departments.Read the full story ›
A senior charity leader has written to the Government offering the service of charity workers to ease pressures in NHS hospitals in England.Read the full story ›
Figures show that the rate of 'bed blocking' in English hospitals has almost doubled leading to pressures on A&E and delays to operations.Read the full story ›
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt tasked the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges to develop the new "name above the bed" policy that will see every hospital patient assigned a named doctor who is responsible for their care.
Patients tell us that, too often, their care isn't joined up.
That's why every patient should have a single responsible clinician whose job it is to help them with anything that goes wrong and make sure they get the care they need.
This guidance will make that a reality - it has been developed by clinicians, for clinicians, and is a huge step forward for patient safety.
New guidance from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges says every hospital patient should have a named doctor taking responsibility for their care.
The Government said it would introduce the measure as part of its response to the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust public inquiry.
The "name above the bed" policy will ensure that patients and their relatives and carers will know which doctor is ultimately responsible for all aspects of their care, the AMRC said.
Around 40% of hospitals in England are understood to provide such details but health officials want to see the initiative rolled out across the board.
Health chiefs have ordered an investigation into how a batch of liquid nutrients may have given babies blood poisoning.
Public Health England (PHE)said 15 cases of septicaemia, including the death of one baby, looked to be "strongly linked" to an intravenous product that is given to babies who are unable to feed normally.
The babies, many of whom were premature, were being treated in NHS neonatal intensive care units when it is thought they acquired the infection.
A statement from the health body said investigations with a manufacturer had already identified a possible incident that could have caused contamination.
The PHE's Incident Director, Mike Catchpole, said the body had "acted quickly" to alert hospitals to the potential problem and remove any remaining stocks of the product.
Health chiefs have ordered an investigation after a baby died from blood poisoning.
It is thought the baby contracted an infection after being administered a contaminated drip in hospital.