Live updates

Hull defender set to miss first half of season

Moses Odubajo was injured at Grimsby. Credit: PA

Hull full-back Moses Odubajo is likely to be out until 2017 after the club confirmed he had ruptured a ligament in his knee and will miss the next six months.

The 22-year-old former Brentford player sustained the injury in a friendly with Grimsby on Friday and it follows last week's news that Allan McGregor and Alex Bruce will also miss the beginning of the campaign with problems.

"First and foremost, it's desperately disappointing news for Moses," Tigers boss Steve Bruce said on www.hullcitytigers.com. "He was exceptional for us last season as we won promotion back to the Premier League and we expect him to be a top player for many years to come."

Advertisement

No FA approach for Hull boss Bruce

Steve Bruce has been loosely linked with the England job, Credit: PA

Hull City have yet to receive a formal approach from the Football Association to speak to manager Steve Bruce about the England vacancy.

Sam Allardyce has returned to work at Sunderland after he held talks with the Football Association on Tuesday as the process continues to find a successor to Roy Hodgson.

Bruce, Bournemouth's Eddie Howe and United States head coach Jurgen Klinsmann are also reportedly on the FA shortlist.

Hull interested in Wales forward Robson-Kanu

Hal Robson Kanu impressed in France. Credit: PA

Hull City manager Steve Bruce has admitted his interest in Wales Euros star Hal Robson-Kanu.

The forward left Reading at the end of last month after the end of his contract. Robson-Kanu scored twice for Wales in France, as he helped his country reach the semi-finals.

Bruce will face plenty of competition for Robson-Kanu, who is available for nothing.

We are booked in for talks with him and to see him in the next few days. Do we intend to offer him a deal? Yes.

I think Hal is a good age, has had a sort of rebirth if you like, of playing through the middle, because before that he has played wide most of the time.

He is big, strong, powerful, quick and somebody who runs the other way, in football terms.

I know we have got competition, so let's see what we can do.

– Steve Bruce

Hull confirm key men to miss up to six months

Allan McGregor is set for a spell on the sidelines. Credit: PA

Hull have been dealt a double blow ahead of their return to the Barclays Premier League with the news Allan McGregor and Alex Bruce could both be out for up to six months.

Steve Bruce's squad are currently in Portugal as part of their pre-season preparations and the Tigers boss confirmed that goalkeeper McGregor and defender Alex Bruce are set for extended spells on the sidelines with respective back and Achilles injuries.

Tweets on the club's official Twitter account said: "@therealgreegsy1 (back) and @AlexBruce84 (Achilles) will both miss the start of the @premierleague season due to injury.

"Speaking to the press in Portugal, Steve Bruce has confirmed that both players will be out of action for 4-6 months."

Bruce intends to stay at Hull

Hull manager Steve Bruce. Credit: PA

Steve Bruce has insisted he intends on remaining at Hull next season.

There had long been speculation surrounding whether boss Bruce would remain at the club beyond the end of last season or in the event that owner Assem Allam is bought out.

Reports have also suggested he is interested in succeeding Roy Hodgson as England's new manager, but he told Hull's official website, hullcityafc.net: "I am looking forward to joining up with my players and staff in Portugal next week for our pre-season training camp.

"Despite the talk of potential takeovers, my focus is on what happens on the pitch and as far as I am concerned it is business as usual.

"We plan to make improvements to our squad in the coming weeks and a transfer budget and wage structure has been set by the board for the new campaign. It is simply not correct that I have been told I cannot sign any players as reported this week."

Advertisement

I don't know if I'll stay at promoted Hull - Steve Bruce

Steve Bruce is unsure whether he'll remain at Hull City in the Premier League Credit: PA

Steve Bruce led Hull back to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs on Saturday, the fourth promotion of his career, but admits he remains unsure whether he'll still be in place as manager next season.

Amid his own uncertainty, however, he is far more clear over the direction Hull should be taking as they bid to establish themselves as a top-flight club over a longer term, having been relegated in both 2010 and 2015.

Swansea, West Brom and Bournemouth have achieved relative stability in the top division and that is what Bruce wants Hull to pursue.

It's always going to be difficult for us because of where we are (geographically). We try to attract the (best players) but we are never going to be the biggest payers, and it's difficult to try and get people to come to us, even if we have the money. So there is a long road ahead.

Teams like Bournemouth, Swansea, West Brom, we have to emulate the teams who have been in and around (the Premier League) for a few years.

I don't know if I am staying myself yet.

I'll have a conversation like I said I would at the end of the season, like I've done for the last two years. I've got to make sure that we're equipped. I still haven't 100 per cent decided. I'll have a chat with my family and we'll see.

– Steve Bruce
Load more updates