Live updates

'No information on earthquake deaths', says official

There is no information on any deaths from a major earthquake that struck off Indonesia, a search and rescue official told Reuters.

It had earlier been reported that some people have been killed but how many was unknown.

But head of operations Heronimus Guru said: "Up until now, there is no information about deaths."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Indonesia issues tsunami warning after earthquake

The earthquake struck off the coast of Sumatra

Indonesia has issued a tsunami warning after a powerful earthquake struck of the coast of Sumatra.

The warning is for West Sumatra, North Sumatra and Aceh after a powerful and shallow earthquake of magnitude 7.9 struck off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra on Wednesday, the National Meteorolgical Agency said.

USGS originally put the magnitude at 8.2, and then 8.1, before lowering it to 7.9.

Indonesia, especially Aceh, was badly hit by the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004.

The country straddles the so-called "Pacific Ring of Fire", a highly seismically active zone, where different plates on the earth's crust meet and create a large number of earthquakes and volcanoes.

Powerful earthquake strikes off coast of Indonesia

A powerful and shallow earthquake of magnitude 8.1 struck off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The epicentre was 502 miles southwest of Padang and it was six miles deep, USGS said.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties but the shallower a quake, the more likely it is to cause damage.

Britons warned to 'maintain vigilance' in Indonesia

Britons in Indonesia have been warned to "maintain vigilance" after terror attacks in the capital Jakarta.

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond condemned the "utterly senseless acts of terror".

"My thoughts are with the victims and their families," said Mr Hammond.

"We advise British nationals in Jakarta and elsewhere in Indonesia to maintain vigilance and monitor FCO travel advice, local media and to follow the advice of local security authorities."

Islamic State claims responsibility for Jakarta attacks

Seven people, including five militants, died in the attacks. Credit: Reuters

So-called Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Jakarta attacks, which were "targeting foreign nationals and security forces".

The announcement was made on an IS-allied news agency.

The police chief in the Indonesian capital has also said the group is "definitely" behind the attack.

Load more updates