First Minister of Northern Ireland to hold talks on excluding the republican party over suspected IRA involvement in McGuigan murder.Read the full story ›
The remains of more than one body have been found in a search for three of the IRA Disappeared.
A dig on reclaimed bogland unearthed one body during a search for the remains of former monk Joe Lynskey in the Irish Republic.
More remains were discovered as further excavations took place on the farmland in Coghalstown, Co Meath. The bodies are yet to be identified.
Mr Lynskey was abducted and murdered by the IRA in August 1972.
England fans sang anti-IRA songs during Tuesday's friendly in Italy despite efforts from the Football Association to stamp the chants out in the wake of last year's match in Scotland.
England fans caused controversy last November when they chanted "F*** the IRA" during the 3-1 victory at Celtic Park.
Even though the FA liaised with fan groups after the Scotland game to try to prevent such chants happening again, they were heard during England's 1-1 draw at the Juventus Stadium in Turin on Tuesday.
Any repeat during England's next match against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin on June 7 would lead to yet more criticism.
After the win in Scotland, the FA made it clear it was unhappy about the chants.
We apologise for any offence caused by a section of the England support at the match with Scotland. The FA does not condone inappropriate and offensive chanting and intends to meet with supporters' groups to discuss the wider issues.
We have consistently urged supporters to show respect and not to chant songs that could be regarded as insulting to others - particularly from a religious or political perspective.
Tony Blair is due to give evidence before a parliamentary investigation into the On The Runs (OTRs) scheme for fugitive IRA members later today.
The former prime minister's Labour administration sent about 200 letters to republicans assuring them they were not being pursued by the UK authorities following requests from Sinn Fein.
An investigation was launched by MPs when the prosecution of a man for the murder of four soldiers during an explosion in Hyde Park in 1982 was halted after he received one of the letters in error.
The OTR letters scheme began while Mr Blair was premier, and the chairman of the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee has said he is one of the most important witnesses to the inquiry.
A spokesman for the committee said Mr Blair had confirmed he would be attending a sitting today.
Mr Blair was a key architect of the Good Friday Agreement, which led to IRA arms decommissioning and the establishment of a devolved power-sharing administration at Stormont.
A Football Association official was forced to ask the England supporters' band to stop playing along to anti-IRA singing at Celtic ParkRead the full story ›
One of the IRA's "Disappeared" victims will be laid to rest beside his parents today, 36 years after he was abducted and murdered.Read the full story ›
A body has been found in Ireland in the search for one of the so-called Disappeared, 23-year-old Brendan Megraw killed in 1978.Read the full story ›
An IRA man who escaped prison more than 50 years ago was given a royal pardon by Margaret Thatcher's government, official records from 1985 revealed.
Donal Donnelly fled Belfast's Crumlin Road jail - which he dubbed Europe's Alcatraz - on Boxing Day 1960 while serving a sentence for membership of the armed group during its 1950s border campaign.
Former Northern Ireland secretary Lord Hurd, part of a Conservative government scarred by republican violence, agreed to use the Royal Prerogative of Mercy in May 1985.
His decision was made ahead of landmark political talks on British co-operation with the Irish Government.
Afterwards Donnelly lived openly in the Irish Republic - and even wrote a book about his escape.
Police have confirmed to ITV News Central that a device left in Birmingham on the night of the pub bombings has been lost.Read the full story ›
Relatives of the families of those killed in the 1974 Birmingham bombings met with West Midland Police today to discuss the possibility of a new inquiry into the death of their loved ones. The families were told there would be no new investigation, or proceedings.
Explaining the decision, Chief Constable Chris Sims said:
There have been questions over the years why certain individuals such as the people named by the media apparently never formed part of any investigation. I want to be open and transparent today and tell you that these men had been subject to investigation in the 1970s and the 1991-94 investigation.
There was insufficient evidence for proceedings against any person.
My professional judgement is that the 1991-94 investigation was carried out to a good standard.