Live updates

Iran to continue enriching uranium at one site

Iran will continue to enrich uranium at one of its nuclear sites, but will cease operations at a second, under the terms of a preliminary agreement with the EU and the US.

After lengthy talks, Iran agreed solutions on key parameters of a future comprehensive agreement on its nuclear programme, which is set to be agreed by June 30.

Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said they were "still some time away" from reaching their desired point, and said Iran would continue enriching uranium at its Natanz site, but not at Fordow.

Leaders also agreed to reduce the current stockpile of around 10,000kg of low-enriched uranium to 300kg for 15 years.

All UN security council resolutions would be included in the comprehensive deal, he added.

Agreement 'reached' on nuclear deal framework

An agreement has been reached on a framework for a deal on Iran's nuclear programme, the country's president Hassan Rouhani has said.

Advertisement

Fabius: Iran talks a 'few metres from the finishing line'

French Foreign Secretary Laurent Fabius returned for more Iran nuclear talks after flying back to Paris the previous day because progress had been too slow.

He said: "We are a few meters from the finishing line, but it's always the last metres that are the most difficult. We will try and cross them. "It's not done yet. We want a robust and verifiable agreement and there are still points where there needs to be progress especially on the Iranian side," he said.

One diplomat close to the talks said late on Wednesday that a deal could be announced within hours but had not yet been reached, and the talks could still fall apart.

Iran nuclear talks extended to second day beyond deadline

World leaders and Iran stretched marathon talks on Tehran's nuclear program into a second day past their deadline, with diplomats saying prospects for a preliminary agreement were finely balanced between success and collapse in the coming hours, according to Reuters.

Iran nuclear talks extended to second day beyond deadline. Credit: Reuters

US Secretary of State John Kerry and German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said they would stay at least until Thursday in an effort to seal the "political" agreement, a milestone toward a final pact due by the end of June.

French foreign minister: Iran must do more in talks

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius. Credit: PA

The foreign minister of France said that Iran still had to make more effort to reach a preliminary political accord, but Tehran and the six powers were in the final and most difficult stages.

We are a few metres from the finishing line, but it's always the last metres that are the most difficult. We will try and cross them.

It's not done yet. We want a robust and verifiable agreement and there are still points where there needs to be progress especially on the Iranian side.

– French foreign minister Laurent Fabius

Advertisement

Hammond hails 'progress' after Iran talks pass deadline

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has said progress has been made between Iran and major powers over Tehran's nuclear programme, despite passing Tuesday's midnight deadline, but said "key issues" still need to be resolved.

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has warned a nuclear arms race in the Middle East could be triggered unless a deal is reached with Iran. Credit: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

"I think we have a broad framework of understanding, but there are still some key issues that have to be worked through," Mr Hammond told the BBC.

"Some of them are quite detailed and technical so there is still quite a lot of work to do but we are on it now and we'll keep going at it."

The so-called P5+1 - the US, UK, France, China, Russia plus Germany - hope to limit Iran's nuclear ambitions in exchange for relief from sanctions which have left its economy crippled.

Iran nuclear talks: Obama informed of progress

US President Barack Obama has been updated on nuclear negotiations between Iran and world powers as talks continued past the deadline.

The White House released a photo of President Obama receiving an update on the talks. Credit: White House

The US State Department said enough progress had been made to warrant an extension, although there still were "several difficult issues" to overcome.

The president was pictured holding a video call with members of his national security team to discuss the talks, although no further details were released.

Representatives from the US, UK, France, China, Russia plus Germany - known as the P5+1 - have been locked in talks with Iran in Lausanne, Switzerland for days over the country's nuclear programme.

They aim to stop Iran from developing a nuclear bomb in exchange for relief from sanctions, which have left its economy crippled.

Load more updates