Live updates

Irbil car bomb kills three outside US consulate

A car bomb that exploded outside the US consulate in Irbil - the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan - has killed three people and injured 14 more.

No Americans were hurt in the attack, for which ISIS has claimed responsibility.

According to the US State Department, a 'vehicle-borne improvised explosive device' went off outside the entrance to the heavily-fortified compound.

An eyewitness claimed the blast was followed by gunfire and sent a column of black smoke high above the Ankawa district, a predominantly Christian neighbourhood packed with cafes popular with foreigners.

Islamic State also claimed responsibility for two car bombings in Baghdad that killed at least 27 people on Friday.

Advertisement

IS claim responsibility for Irbil consulate attack

The so-called Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a car bomb attack outside the US consulate in Irbil in Iraqi Kurdistan, the jihadist monitoring group SITE said.

It cited an Islamic State account on Twitter saying fighters from its Kirkuk division "were able to detonate a car bomb on the building of the American Consulate in the city, which led to killing and wounding many of them".

One dead in car bomb at US consulate in Iraqi Kurdistan

One person has been killed and another five injured in a car bomb attack near the US consulate in Irbil in Iraqi Kurdistan, according to local sources.

The US State Department confirmed that no American personnel had been harmed.

"A car bomb exploded outside the entrance to the US consulate," said Nihad Qoja, the local mayor. "It seems the consulate was the target."

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Details emerge over death in combat of ex-Saddam aide

The King of Clubs: Ezzat al-Douri Credit: RTV

The last of Saddam Hussein's key aides still at large, Ezzat al-Douri, was killed in combat with security forces, according to Iraqi sources.

Al-Douri, who helped lead Saddam's 1968 coup, and who had a $10m US bounty on his head, was apparently killed when he and other insurgents were surrounded by government soldiers.

"A group of security forces went and surrounded the area and those terrorists were killed. Three of them were suicide bombers and blew themselves up. Amongst the bodies was al-Douri's," said Raed al-Jubouri, the governor of the country's Salahuddin province.

Al-Douri was considered so important to capture that he had been assigned the king of clubs in decks of cards issued to American soldiers hunting important figures from Saddam's regime shortly after it fell.

Advertisement

Ex-Saddam aide Ezzat al-Douri killed in military operation

A file photo of Ezzat al-Douri, who was killed in a military operation today Credit: Reuters

A key former aide to the late Iraqi president Saddam Hussein has been in killed in a battle with government forces, Reuters have reported.

The last of Saddam's henchmen still at large, Ezzat al-Douri was killed during a "wide-scale military operation", the governor of Salahuddin province told al-Arabiya television.

The station showed a photo of dead man, who looked similar to al-Douri, who is also believed to be mastermind of the insurgency against the current Shi'ite-led government in Iraq.

The Telegraph report that al-Douri was one of Saddam's most trusted acolytes, helping to lead his 1968 coup. The US set a $10m bounty on his head.

Load more updates