Live updates

Brit bombmaker guilty of Iraq murder to be sentenced

A London taxi driver is due to be sentenced today after becoming the first person convicted in a British court for murder during the Iraq War following a "landmark prosecution".

"Highly dangerous" Anis Abid Sardar, 38, built improvised explosive devices (IEDs) as part of a "deadly" campaign to kill Americans fighting in the country in 2007.

Anis Abid Sardar was found guilty of murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Credit: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

In what is believed to be a legal first, he was convicted yesterday at London's Woolwich Crown Court of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

One of the IEDs caused the death of 34-year-old Sergeant First Class Randy Johnson, of 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, when it hit the armoured vehicle he was travelling in on September 27, 2007.

Taxi driver convicted of murder during the Iraq war

A London taxi driver has become the first person to be convicted, in a British court, of murder during the Iraq War.

The fingerprints of bomb maker Anis Sardar were found on roadside devices - intended to blow up American soldiers. One US Army sergeant was killed by such a device in 2007.

From Sardar's home in Wembley, ITV News Correspondent Juliet Bremner reports.

Advertisement

'Highly dangerous' Brit snared seven years after attack

"Highly dangerous" black cab driver Anis Abid Sardar, 38, from Wembley in north-west London, built improvised explosive devices as part of a "deadly" campaign to kill Americans fighting in the Middle Eastern country in 2007, a court has found.

In what is believed to be a legal first, he was convicted today at London's Woolwich Crown Court of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

One of the lethal contraptions caused the death of 34 year-old Sergeant First Class Randy Johnson, of 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment when it hit the armoured vehicle he was travelling in on September 27 2007.

Sardar was snared some seven years later after officials at the FBI's Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Centre found his fingerprints on some of the bombs.

Brit guilty of making bomb which killed US soldier

Credit: PA

A British minicab driver has been found guilty of making roadside bombs, one of which killed a US soldier in Iraq.

Anis Abid Sardar, 38, was convicted of the murder of Sergeant first class Randy Johnson in September 2007.

Sergeant Randy died instantly when a device exploded under his armoured vehicle.

Three further bombs which had been planted on the same stretch were recovered and safely detonated.

Sardar, of Wembley, north west London, will be sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court tomorrow.

US-led coalition will support ground force in Iraq

A White House official has said that the US-led coalition will support the multisectarian ground force in Iraq in its effort to take back the city of Ramadi from Islamic State fighters.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said it is important for the force to have control and be in command of Iraq.

Islamic State use children as propaganda in victory parades

Thousands of Iraqis have streamed out of the city of Ramadi - from the self styled Islamic State forces who took control yesterday.

Among the refugees, the patients of what is now a deserted hospital. Islamic State territory in Syria and Iraq has, since yesterday, been extended to include Ramadi which is just eighty miles to the west of Baghdad, Iraq's capital. It was the biggest defeat for Iraq's army since last summer. Once again the group used little children as propaganda in victory parades.

Advertisement

UN: 25,000 people have fled the Iraqi city of Ramadi

The United Nations has said that close to 25,000 people have fled the Iraqi city of Ramadi after an Islamic state attack. Funds to help them were running out and aid stocks were almost gone, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Iraq said.

Some 3,000 Shi'ite militia fighters have arrived at a military base near Ramadi as Baghdad moved to retake the western Iraqi city that fell to Islamic State militants at the weekend in the biggest defeat for the government since mid-2014.

Thousands have been displaced from Ramadi. Credit: Reuters

Earlier Army General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the US military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the Islamic State's gains in Ramadi were setback for Iraqi security forces, but such setbacks were "regrettable but not uncommon in warfare".

"Much effort will now be required to reclaim the city," he added.

Iran 'ready to help confront Islamic State in Ramadi'

Iran is ready to help confront Islamic State militants who have taken control of the Iraqi city of Ramadi, a senior Iranian official said.

Shia militia fighters seen here celebrating a victory over IS last September. Credit: Reuters

The comments came as Iran-backed Shia fighters were ordered to prepare to retake the city.

Ali Akbar Velayati, an advisor to Iran's supreme leader, said he was certain the city would be "liberated".

"If the Iraqi government officially asks the Islamic Republic of Iran ... to carry out any step that helps Iraq to confront (them)... then the Islamic Republic of Iran will meet this call," he told Reuters.

US-led air strikes hit Ramadi amid 'IS takeover'

The US-led coalition against Islamic State have conducted multiple air strikes in Ramadi amid claims the terror group have seized the city.

Smoke rises over an area of Ramadi following fighting. Credit: Reuters

IS said last night that it had overran the city after fierce fighting in recent days left an estimated 500 people dead.

A spokesperson said 19 air strikes in the last 72 hours had targeted IS fighting positions, vehicles and buildings.

"The Coalition increased its support in Ramadi today, in order to fulfill all requests of the Iraqi security forces," a spokesman said.

Load more updates