Live updates

Advertisement

Bombings across Iraq kill at least 35 people

Bombings across Iraq killed at least 35 people in attacks that appeared to be revenge for an assault on a Sunni mosque that has deepened sectarian conflict.

A bomb exploded in Arbil, the capital of Iraq's Kurdistan region, which has enjoyed a relative stability.

Arbil
Kurdish security forces inspect the site of a car bomb attack in Arbil. Credit: Reuters

Triple car bomb rocks Kirkuk 'killing at least six'

Three bombings that appeared to be targeting Kurdish forces killed six people in the city of Kirkuk, 250 km (155 miles) north of Baghdad, security sources said.

In Baghdad, a bomber rammed a vehicle into an intelligence headquarters on Saturday, killing at least eight people, police and medical sources said. Near Tikrit, a suicide bomber driving a military Humvee packed with explosives attacked a gathering of soldiers and Shi'ite militias on Friday night, killing nine.

A5drekel_normal

#Breaking - Triple #ISIS car bombs have rocked the Kurdish quarter of Rahimawa, #Kirkuk. Death toll rising. #ISIL http://t.co/2kpGXCMnZk

Bvu4aqmcyaivwyg

Lingerie chain apologises for 'Isis' underwear range

Lingerie chain Ann Summers says it is "too late" to change a new range of underwear which shares a name with the Islamist militant group Isis.

An Ann Summers branch in Derby pictured last year.
An Ann Summers branch in Derby pictured last year. Credit: PA

The selection of bras and thongs was named after the Egyptian goddess of nature and magic.

The terror group Isis (also known as IS and Isil) is an acronym that stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

"We thought up the name over six months ago," an Ann Summers employee told The Independent.

“It wasn’t until all the PR was done for the portfolio when the name meant something else. It was too late to change it.”

Islamic State (or Isis) militants claimed responsibility for the murder of US journalist James Foley earlier this week.

An official Ann Summers statement said: "We in no way support or condone any act of terrorism or violence. We apologise for any offence caused."

Advertisement

UN warns of 'possible massacre' in besieged Iraqi town

Nikolay Mladenov, the head of the UN assistance mission in Iraq, has warned of a "possible massacre" in an area of Iraq under siege by Islamic State (IS) militants.

O7-nsm0q_normal

BREAKING: Desperate situation in #Amerli, under siege by ISIL, demands urgent action to prevent possible massacre. #Iraq

Maldenov said in a statement:

The town is besieged by ISIL and reports confirm that people are surviving in desperate conditions.

I urge the Iraqi Government to do all it can to relieve the siege and to ensure that the residents receive lifesaving humanitarian assistance or are evacuated in a dignified manner.

Iraq’s allies and the international community should work with the authorities to prevent a human rights tragedy.

– Nikolay Mladenov

Divides deepen in Iraq as condemnation of IS spreads

by - Africa Correspondent

Two attacks help tell the complex picture here in Iraq.

Firstly in Jalula, a city that was taken by Islamic State (IS) just a few days ago. Today, Kurdish and Iraqi forces fought back, regaining territory, helped no doubt by those 93 American air strikes over the last two weeks. IS said that it lost 50 of its militants in the firefight there.

And yet, north-east of Baghdad, a quite different story: A Sunni mosque was stormed there today - 70 worshippers were killed. Sunni politicians blame Shi'ite militiamen. Some of those politicians will now back out of discussions about forming a future government for this country.

It does seem here that sectarianism remains a barrier to political unity, yet abroad there is growing unity. Tonight, Saudi Arabia said it wanted the destruction of IS. The Americans today saying that the group is more deadly, more powerful than it was six months ago.

Sunnis pull out of Iraq talks after mosque attack

Two of Iraq's most influential Sunni politicians have pulled out of talks to form a new government after Shi'ite militia forces opened fire on a Sunni mosque killing 68 people.

Deputy Prime Minister Saleh Mutlaq and Parliament Speaker Salim al-Jibouri have pulled out of talks with the main Shi'ite alliance.

I confirm we have suspended negotiations with the National Alliance because of this crime, until the results of the investigations are announced.

– Raad al-Dahlaki, lawmaker with Jibouri's bloc
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories