Live updates

Islamic State fighters gain more ground in northern Iraq

Kurdish Peshmerga troops engage ISIS forces in northern Iraq
Kurdish Peshmerga troops engage ISIS forces in northern Iraq Credit: Reuters

Militants from the Islamic State have made further ground in northern Iraq, seizing more towns after residents fled the area in fear.

Iraq’s largest Christian town, Qaraqosh, was seized by the Jihadists after Kurdish troops were forced into a hasty retreat, according to AFP.

The towns are among many in the area where thousands of Christians who were forced to abandon their homes in the main northern city of Mosul last month had found refuge.

More: 40,000 flee northern Iraq after Islamist militant threat

Isis orders women of Mosul to undergo genital mutilation

Militant group Isis has ordered all girls and women in and around the Iraqi city of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation, a UN official said.

An Isis fighter in Iraqi city of Mosul pictured in June 23.
An Isis fighter in Iraqi city of Mosul pictured in June 23. Credit: Reuters

The "fatwa" issued by the fighters would potentially afflict 4 million women and girls, UN co-ordinator Jacqueline Badcock said, saying the order was "of grave concern".

This is something very new for Iraq, particularly in this area, and is of grave concern and does need to be addressed. This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists.

– Jacqueline Badcock, UN humanitarian co-ordinator in Iraq

Advertisement

Government freezes British jihadists' assets

The Government has frozen the assets of three British citizens reported to have been involved in terrorism-related activities in Syria.

Reyaad Khan, left, and Nasser Muthana, centre, have had their assets frozen. Credit: Isis

Nasser Muthana and Reyaad Khan, both from Cardiff, and Ruhul Amin, from Aberdeen, has been added to the Treasury's list of people targeted for financial sanctions, its website states.

Muthana and Amin appeared in a promotional video for the Islamist militant group Isis.

Read: UK Jihadist's father says I wish I could ask him to come back

Advertisement

Cardiff mosque denies radicalising British Isis pair

Reyaad Khan, left, and Nasser Muthana, centre, are said to have been Credit: Isis

A mosque attended by two British jihadis fighting with Islamist rebels in Syria has denied teaching extremist ideologies.

According to Sky News, the Al-Manar Centre in Cardiff has confirmed that two men who appeared alongside a third Briton in an Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria (Isis) propaganda video had visited the mosque.

Nasser Muthana and Reyaad Khan, both from the Welsh city, featured prominently in the video by Isis, which urged Muslims in the West to join their fight.

However, the mosque denied it encouraged members to take up arms to join extremists abroad.

In a statement reported by the broadcaster, the Al-Manar Centre said: "It is worth mentioning that ACT's stance is well known, that we are opposed to going to Syria or any other country, to participate in an armed struggle and have always made this clear."

New picture of Abdul Raqib Amin 'prior to radicalisation'

Picture of Abdul Raqib Amin on a night out with friends a few years ago. Credit: SWNS

A new photograph has emerged of Abdul Raqib Amin, a British man who appeared in an Isis militant recruitment video, before he was 'radicalised' by Islamist extremists.

Taken on a night out with friends in Aberdeen a few years ago when he was in his early twenties, clean-shaven smiling and posing jokily with friends, he is just another young man on a night out in town.

A former schoolmate, Naz Hussain, 28, said of Amin's appearance in the Islamist militant video: "He was really popular, everyone knew him. All his old classmates, they just can't believe it."

More: British jihadi's teenage vow to 'rid world from evil'

15K items of jihadist propaganda removed from internet

The Prime Minister's spokeswoman said 15,000 items of "jihadist propaganda" have been removed from the internet.

The full length version of the film featuring young British men has been removed. Credit: Isis

YouTube said last night it would take down any full-length versions of a film of British jihadists calling on young Muslims to fight in Syria and Iraq.

The Government has removed 15,000 pieces of extremist material from the web since December, about 180 per day, the spokesperson said.

More: British jihadis make 'call to arms' to Muslims in the West

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories