Live updates

Report: Surge in Islamophobic attacks since Woolwich

A report into anti-Islamic attacks in the UK has revealed a surge in the number of incidents reported since the attack on a soldier in Woolwich.

Floral tributes left near Woolwich Barracks in south London where Drummer Lee Rigby was murdered Credit: Jeff Moore/Jeff Moore/Empics Entertainment

The report, by Professor Nigel Copsey from Teesside University, found that the average number of incidents reported rose from 1.5 per day to six or seven.

The incidents were being reported to Tell MAMA, a government-funded platform for monitoring attacks of this kind.

But the research shows that under-reporting remains a major problem, which only a third of all incidents recorded between 1 April 2012 and 30 April 2013 being reported to the police.

Read the full report here

Channel 4 to play Muslim call to prayer during Ramadan

Channel 4 will broadcast the Muslim call to prayer every morning during Ramadan - the religious festival which sees millions of worshippers around the world fast for a month.

Worshippers attend Friday Prayers at Langley Green Mosque in Crawley, West Sussex. Credit: Chris Young/PA Archive/Press Association Images

The channel's head of factual programming Ralph Lee said it had previously been nearly invisible on mainstream TV.

Writing in the Radio Times, he said that many non-Muslims saw Ramadan in terms of "the physical hardship of fasting and control" rather than as a "time of reformation and reflection".

The channel will broadcast the traditional call to prayer, delivered by muezzin Hassen Rasool, at the same time it is played in mosques around London.

Advertisement

Man jailed for dumping pig's head outside mosque

A 21-year-old man who dumped a pig's head outside a mosque has been jailed for three months.

Rory Rowbottom left the hog's head outside the mosque in Pound Street in Newbury, Berkshire last October.

Rowbottom, of Poffley Place in Thatcham, pleaded guilty to racially aggravated harassment and a Section 4 public order offence at Reading Magistrates' Court today, police said.

Chief Inspector Lindsey Finch of Thames Valley Police said the whole community was "distressed and horrified" by the incident.

California man linked to anti-Islam film held without bond

A California man linked to an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world has been held without bond at his bail hearing in Los Angeles, Reuters has reported.

The presiding judge cited Nakoula Basseley Nakoula's "pattern of deception" and said the 55-year-old could be a flight risk.

Nakoula has been under investigation by probation officials looking into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction while making the film.

California man linked to anti-Islam film in custody

The now-notorious film saw waves of anti-American protests spark across the Muslim world. Credit: Fayaz Aziz / Reuters

A California man linked to an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world is in custody ahead of his bail hearing in Los Angeles, a court spokesman has said.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, has been under investigation by probation officials looking into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction while making the film.

As a condition of his release, he was barred from accessing the Internet or using aliases without the permission of a probation officer.

Actress sues anti-Islam filmmaker in federal court

Cindy Lee Garcia, an actress in an anti-Islam movie that has spawned violent protests across the Muslim world Credit: Bret Hartman / Reuters

An actress who said she was duped into appearing in an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world has taken her legal bid to federal court in a renewed effort to force it off YouTube.

The lawsuit filed by Cindy Lee Garcia names YouTube and its parent company Google Inc. as defendants, along with the Egyptian-American Coptic Christian from California believed to be behind the making of the film.

Last week, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge denied Garcia's request for a temporary restraining order that would have required YouTube to stop posting the crudely made 13-minute video, finding the actress was unlikely to prevail on the merits of her case in state court.

As in her previous lawsuit, Garcia accused the purported filmmaker of fraud, libel and unfair business practices. But her federal lawsuit also asserts a copyright claim to her performance in the video, titled "The Innocence of Muslims."

Advertisement

Why actress in anti-Muslim film is suing

  • Cindy Lee Garcia's is the first-known civil lawsuit connected to the video that depicts the Prophet Mohammad as a womanizer and a fool.
  • Garcia's lawyer, Cris Armenta asserted that third-party content distributors hold some responsibility for the content on their platforms.
  • Google previously rejected a request by the White House to reconsider its decision to keep the clips on YouTube, but the company has blocked the trailer in certain Muslim countries such as Egypt and Libya.
  • The White House had asked Google to evaluate whether the video violated YouTube's terms of service.

Actress in anti-Muslim film sues filmmaker

An actress suing the producer of an anti-Islam movie that has spawned violent protests across the Muslim world plans to drop her suit and file a new case in federal court over copyright claims, her lawyer has said.

Cindy Lee Garcia filed a lawsuit last week in a state court in Los Angeles against Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the California man thought to be behind the movie, claiming she was duped into playing a role and her life has been put at risk as a result.

Load more updates