Live updates

Jeremy Clarkson says he will miss hosting Top Gear

Jeremy Clarkson has written about how much he will miss presenting Top Gear. Credit: Ben Birchall / PA Wire/PA Images

Jeremy Clarkson has written about how much he will miss hosting Top Gear and thanked fans for their support after he was sacked from the popular motoring show following a 'fracas' with a producer.

The presenter has not spoken publicly about being axed by the BBC, other than to say that "everybody's upset", but in his column in the Sun newspaper today, Clarkson briefly mentioned the incident.

Heartfelt thanks to all those who have written to say how much they will miss me on Top Gear. It's not as much, however, as I'll miss being there.

– Jeremy Clarkson

Advertisement

Clarkson appears at charity event in the Cotswolds

Jeremy Clarkson hosted a charity event near his home in the Cotswolds. Credit: Ben Birchall/PA Wire

Former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson appeared at a charity event close to his Cotswolds home this evening.

The presenter, released by the BBC after he was involved in a 'fracas' with a producer, stepped out to fulfil another long-running role as auctioneer at an annual fundraiser for Chipping Norton Lido.

He chatted to fans outside the town hall venue after arriving in a sleek sports car, before heading inside to lead proceedings to raise money for the charity-run pool.

As he walked in he joked to photographers: "You've got to earn a living. Maybe I ought to take it up."

Tonight's event was an "auction of promises" fundraising for the pool, of which Clarkson has been a long-term supporter. According to its website the lots include Top Gear t-shirts signed by Clarkson, a bottle of House of Commons whisky signed by local MP David Cameron and a week's holiday in France.

Clarkson pulls out of hosting 'Have I Got News For You'

Jeremy Clarkson will not be hosting 'Have I Got News For You'. Credit: Daniel Leal-Olivas / PA Wire/PA Images

Former Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has pulled out of his planned appearance as a host on BBC satirical show 'Have I Got News For You'.

The presenter was due to appear later this month, which would have been his first BBC appearance since the corporation sacked him, after he was involved in a 'fracas' with a producer.

Clarkson had been due to record his appearance on the show on April 23rd to be broadcast on April 24th.

Jimmy Mulville, managing director of Hat Trick Productions which makes the satirical show, said: "On reflection, Jeremy Clarkson has decided not to host Have I Got News For You. We fully expect him to resume his hosting duties later in the year."

Police: No further action over Jeremy Clarkson attack

Jeremy Clarkson will face no further police action over his attack on a Top Gear producer at a hotel, North Yorkshire Police said today.

Jeremy Clarkson will face no further police action Credit: PA

Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 and took himself to hospital with his injuries.

Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10 before it announced his contract would not be renewed.

North Yorkshire Police released this statement about its decision not to pursue any further action over the attack:

North Yorkshire Police has now completed its routine inquiries following the incident at Hawes involving Mr Jeremy Clarkson, and we will not be pursuing this matter any further.

North Yorkshire Police takes a thorough and victim-led approach to all investigations.

Last week, the person at the centre of the incident, Mr Tymon, said that he did not wish the police to take action on his behalf.

However, at that point we still needed to speak to some members of the public who were present at the time of the incident, who had been affected by the event, and whose views also needed to be considered.

Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action.

– North Yorkshire Police

The star received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - in the aftermath of the "fracas" while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.

But director-general Tony Hall said "a line has been crossed" and that "there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another".

Advertisement

Top Gear executive producer denies he is quitting show

The future of Top Gear's presenters has been in limbo since Jeremy Clarkson was sacked. Credit: Stefan Rousseau / PA WIRE

Top Gear's executive producer Andy Wilman has denied reports that he has quit the hit show in the wake of Jeremy Clarkson's sacking because of his long-term friendship with the presenter.

Yesterday Mr Wilman sent an email to staff on the show congratulating them on making "one of the most iconic programmes in TV history" which was widely reported to be a resignation statement.

Mr Wilman, whose friendship with Clarkson dates back to their school days, said: "The email I wrote yesterday was not a resignation statement, and nor was it meant for public consumption.

"It was a private note of thanks to 113 people who have worked on the show over the years, but clearly one of those 113 is a bit of a tit, because they shared it with a website."

He added: "I don't get this modern obsession with sharing, linking, forwarding, retweeting. Whatever happened to a private moment?

"And if I were to resign, I wouldn't do it publicly. I'd do it old school by handing in my notice, to someone upstairs in HR.

Top Gear producer does not want to press charges

Oisin Tymon, the Top Gear producer punched by Jeremy Clarkson during a row over food, has told North Yorkshire Police he does not want to press charges, his lawyer Paul Daniels has said.

Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon. Credit: Press Association.

The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.

Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible. Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.

Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC's stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible.

– Paul Daniels, lawyer for Oisin Tymon

North Yorkshire Police said they are still investigating the incident. A spokesman said: "Inquiries are ongoing."

Clarkson: 'I wish people would leave Ois alone'

Jeremy Clarkson refused to answer questions when asked earlier if he was worried about being arrested.

Clarkson: 'I wish people would leave Ois alone'. Credit: PA

Returning to his home shortly after 3.30pm, he said: "All I would like to say is ... I wish people would leave Ois alone because none of this was his fault."

Load more updates