Joey Barton's Football Association hearing into betting charges has been postponed.
The 34-year-old Burnley midfielder was due to appear before an FA commission on Wednesday, having accepted a misconduct charge relating to 1,260 bets over a 10-year period.
It is possible a lengthy ban could ensue - though no direct precedent exists - and the Clarets were prepared for the fact that he could have played his final match for the club with his contract up at the end of the season.
But Press Association Sport understands the hearing was not able to take place as planned and, with no new date yet set, Barton is free to play in Sunday's Premier League match at Liverpool.
Joey Barton played 90 minutes for Burnley's development squad on Tuesday after completing his move back to the Premier League club.
The Clarets announced on Monday the midfielder, who helped them to promotion last year, had rejoined them until the end of the season having left Rangers in November.
The 34-year-old, who is facing a Football Association charge into alleged betting irregularities, is now stepping up his fitness work and played a full game against Fleetwood at the Barnfield Training Centre.
A one-match suspension imposed by the Scottish Football Association was served during Monday's Premier League defeat at Manchester City.
Sean Dyche claims there is a "strong possibility" Joey Barton will still rejoin Burnley next month if renewed discussions following a misconduct charge go well.
The Clarets recently agreed a deal in principle for Barton to sign for them in the January transfer window but the issue has since been complicated by a Football Association probe into alleged betting.
Barton faces a possible fine and suspension after being charged for allegedly placing 1,260 bets over a 10-year period.
Burnley manager Dyche said: "We're in ongoing discussions with him and his advisers, just to make sure we're all clear where we stand with that.
"If that goes well, then in theory there is a strong possibility that things carry on as normal, with certain caveats, obviously, for certain situations should they arise."
Joey Barton has received a one-match ban for betting on games while a Rangers player, the Scottish Football Association have confirmed.Read the full story ›
Rangers have announced that they have agreed to terminate the contract of midfielder Joey Barton with immediate effect.Read the full story ›
Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has not trained with the Scottish club since Friday after being signed off with stress.Read the full story ›
Joey Barton is set to return to Rangers after the club announced the conclusion of the midfielder's disciplinary procedure.
The 34-year-old was banished from the club after a training-ground bust-up with boss Mark Warburton in the wake of September's 5-1 Old Firm drubbing by Celtic.
But it appears the end of his suspension is only aimed at allowing him to work on his fitness ahead of an expected January departure.
Rangers said in a statement: "Joey Barton has been told he will return to full-time training following the conclusion of a disciplinary procedure.
"The Auchenhowie management team will inform the player of appropriate training arrangements to which he must adhere for as long as he remains a Rangers player. Neither the club nor the player will comment further."
Rangers have decided to extend Joey Barton's suspension from the club by an extra week as a "formal disciplinary procedure" continues.
Barton was due to report for training on Monday after serving a month-long ban imposed by the club in the wake of a row with manager Mark Warburton and teammate Andy Halliday.
Joey Barton has been informed that his suspension by the club has been extended by one week.
This is part of a formal disciplinary procedure and Joey has been instructed not return to Ibrox or Auchenhowie [training ground] until further notice.
Neither party [the club and player] will make any further statement or comment.
Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has been charged with making 44 bets on football matches.Read the full story ›
The Rangers outcast allegedly backed rivals Celtic to lose as new quotes emerge in which he offends both Scottish clubs and his team-mates.Read the full story ›