Live updates

Kenyan police chief steps down after al-Shabaab attack

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta made the announcement today. Credit: Reuters

Kenyan police chief David Kimaiyo has stepped down in the wake of the latest al-Shabaab attack in the country.

Kimaiyo had come under fire to quit after he was criticised for failing to step up security following the militant group's attack on Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall last year which killed 67 people.

President Uhuru Kenyatta said had accepted his resignation and also confirmed he would be appointing a new interior minister in a reshuffle.

Advertisement

Al-Shabaab admit being behind Kenya quarry attack

Somali militant group al-Shabaab have admitted being behind an attack on a Kenyan quarry site which killed dozens.

The group said its fighters had killed 40 people, although the government and other officials put the death toll at 36.

Village elders said at least two non-Muslims, who were attacked as they slept, were beheaded while the rest were shot at close range.

In a statement, al-Shabaab said it had executed dozens of "Kenyan crusaders" as punishment for Kenya sending troops to Somalia to fight Islamist rebels.

At least 36 shot dead in suspected al-Shabaab attack in Kenya

Mandera County is outlines in read on the border between Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia. Credit: Google Maps

At least 36 quarry workers have been killed in northern Kenya in a suspected attack by al-Shabaab militants, police said.

The workers were ambushed by gunmen in Mandera County, near the border with Somalia.

Police sources claimed non-Muslims were singled out and some were shot, while others were decapitated.

No group has yet claimed responsibility but the attack.

Some 28 people were killed in the area last month when al-Shabaab militants hijacked a Nairobi-bound bus.

Kenya warns citizens against travel to Heathrow

Kenya has warned its citizens about transiting through Heathrow Airport because of “a substantial threat of possible attack” by Al-Qaeda operatives, according to local media reports.

A plane flies over Heathrow Airport Credit: PA

Hours after the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed its travel advice for parts of the Kenyan coast following a spate of attacks that have left at least 87 people dead, the African nation's Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary issued the warning.

Karanja Kibicho told the Daily Nation newspaper: “According to information provided by US officials, Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen and Syria were developing sophisticated bombs that could bring down a plane."

He added: "The information states that Britain would be the most likely country to be affected. Based on this information, Kenyans are advised not to travel through London Heathrow where there is substantial threat of a possible attack.

Britons warned over Kenya coastal trips

Travellers are being advised against visits to Lamu county and areas of Tana River county. Credit: FCO

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has changed its travel advice for parts of the Kenyan coast following a spate of attacks that have left at least 87 people dead.

A total of 22 people were killed in raids last Saturday in the village of Hindi in Lamu county, and Gamba in Tana River county, according to the Kenya Red Cross.

In June 65 people were killed when gunmen launched an attack in the coastal town of Mpeketoni.

The Somali militant Islamist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attacks.

In the wake of the killings the FCO is advising against all but essential travel to Lamu county and the areas of Tana River county north of the Tana River itself.

Advertisement

Kenya attacks: Fatalities could rise

Somali militants al Shabaab - the Islamist group behind the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi - has claimed responsibility for Saturday night's raids on the Kenyan coast that have left at least 29 people dead.

The group said that it had broken into the police station at Gamba and freed suspects from the cells.

Their claim was supported by a Kenyan police source who said the group freed Muslim detainees, including some linked to the Mpeketoni two weeks ago that killed 65 people.

A truck burnt out in one of the raids in Kenya on Saturday night, when at least 29 people were killed. Credit: RTV

"There were two attacks in Lamu and Tana River last night. In Lamu we have nine people dead and in Tana River we have 20. The number could rise," ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka said.

"They went around shooting at people and villages indiscriminately," Abdallah Shahasi, the area chief said.

Red Cross: Kenya death toll rises to 13 people

At least 13 people were killed when attackers wielding guns raided two separate areas on the Kenyan coast overnight, the Kenyan Red Cross said.

Red Cross: Kenya death toll rises to 13 people Credit: Google Maps

Four people lost their lives at Hindi trading centre in Lamu county, near the scene of attacks in which 65 people were killed last month, the Red Cross said on Twitter.

Nine more people were killed in another attack in the Gamba area of Tana River county.

Load more updates