Kevin Pietersen insisted he would listen to any offer to return as England selectors met on Friday to decide which players are set for World Cup duty.
The batsman's international career looks to be over after he was ditched from the England set-up following last winter's heavy Ashes defeat, and went on to write a controversial autobiography.
But Pietersen wrote on Twitter as the selectors prepared to mull their options that his "phone is on" and, in response to a fellow user asking if he would take a call from the England management, he replied: "Of course!"
England's all-time leading runscorer Kevin Pietersen has offered to help with youth coaching in order to promote cricket in the country.
After statistics revealed participation had dropped sharply in the last year, from 908,000 in 2013 to 844,000 in 2014, the controversial batsman decided to act.
Been off Twitter for a while, but couldn't stay off when I heard about today's announcement re drop off in cricket participation over here.
We've got a fantastic pool of talent here in UK & thought of kids dropping out & not fulfilling potential is frightening & needs changing..
Any school cricket coaches or after school clubs doing winter training, tweet me and I'll pick a couple next week to join you...?
Alastair Cook insists the England dressing room is a 'happy' place now that Kevin Pietersen is no longer a topic of conversationRead the full story ›
David Collier has dismissed Kevin Pietersen's recent allegations of bullying in the England cricket set-upRead the full story ›
Geoffrey Boycott has launched a stinging attack on the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) over the leaked document which portrayed Kevin Pietersen as a troublemaker in the England dressing room.
In his Daily Telegraph column, the former England batsman labelled some of the accusations "so trivial it beggars belief" and said that whoever leaked the document should lose their job.
"Kevin is a sinner but he has been sinned against by the ECB," Boycott said.
"For me, it reached its lowest point on Tuesday when a 'strictly confidential' ECB document was leaked to the media. The points it contained were pathetic and it was a crass idea to put together such a report to try to trash Kevin. It stinks.
"Whoever dreamt that up is not fit to lead English cricket. Kevin has been a fantastic batsman for England. He thrilled millions and helped win matches for the England team that enabled some people at the ECB to bask in reflected glory."
Pietersen called the document "a joke" earlier in the week.
Kevin Pietersen says he would play for the national side again but only if England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Giles Clarke left his role.
Pietersen was sacked by the ECB eight months ago and has caused controversy with his recent autobiography by saying there was a bullying culture in the England dressing room.
"What would have to happen for me to be recalled by England? Clearly, the boss would have to go,” Pietersen told the Evening Standard.
“Clarke would have to go, and I’ve been hearing that could happen in the next few months.
“That’s all hearsay, you never know. If there is a change at the top, there is potential, but we will wait and see.”
Popular radio broadcaster Jonathan Agnew has quit Twitter after a row with Kevin Pietersen's pop star wife Jessica TaylorRead the full story ›
Kevin Pietersen has responded with disdain to the ECB leaked document cataloguing his alleged behaviour during last winter's Ashes.Read the full story ›
Former England captain Kevin Pietersen has hit out at the England and Wales Cricket Board and Andy Flower.Read the full story ›
Surrey have cancelled Kevin Pietersen's contract leaving the ECB unable to take disciplinary action against him ahead of new book releaseRead the full story ›