A US university student who disappeared in China in 2004 is said to be alive - and working in North Korea as Kim Jong-un's English tutor.Read the full story ›
North Korea has banned all weddings, funerals and freedom of movement ahead of the first Worker's Party congress in 36 years.Read the full story ›
North Korea's state-run media claims leader Kim Jong-un has climbed the highest mountain in the country.Read the full story ›
State-run television KRT showed Kim still using a walking stick as he inspected the airport being constructed in the capital.Read the full story ›
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has made his first public appearance in more than 40 days, with a visit to a new housing development.
The 31-year-old has not appeared in public since attending a concert with his wife on September 3 - missing an important political anniversary on Friday as well as a recent session of the country's parliament.
His absence fuelled speculation of ill-health or possible political turbulence in the secretive country, but today the country's official newspaper Rodong Sinmun, printed multiple photos of a smiling Kim standing with the apparent aid of a walking stick.
Last week a source with access to the North's leadership told reporters that Kim was in firm control of the country but had hurt his leg taking part in a military drill.
Today's newspaper report did not say when the visit had been made, or refer to Kim's unusually lengthy absence from public view.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has made his first public appearance in several weeks, state media has reported.
The 31-year-old's prolonged absence from public view had fuelled speculation over his health as well as his grip on power in the secretive nation.
Kim was shown visiting a newly-built residential district and a scientific establishment, according to the report.
A pattern of non-appearances has raised concerns about the where-abouts, and well-being, of North Korea's dictator, Kim Jong-Un.
Explanations have ranged from diet and too much Swiss cheese, to a straight-forward coup.
He's not been seen in public for more than 5 weeks and today he failed to appear at a major national event.
It could all have an impact on relations with China, his longtime ally and supporter.
ITV News China correspondent Lucy Watson reports.
The North Korean government says two US tourists detained in the secretive state are guilty of "hostile acts".
Matthew Miller, 24, was reportedly detained in April of this year, while 56-year-old Jeffrey Fowle has been in custody since mid-May.
"Their hostile acts were confirmed by evidence and their own testimonies," said the official KCNA news agency.
Another American citizen, Christian missionary Kenneth Bae, arrested in November 2012, was convicted of crimes against the state and sentenced to 15 years' hard labour last year.
North Korea is set to try two US citizens for "crimes against the state", according to the country's state news agency, KCNA.