Live updates

Two men held after body found near Leeds church hall

The body was found close to Wrangthorn Church Hall in Leeds. Credit: Google Maps

Police have arrested two men and launched a murder investigation after a body was found in Hyde Park Terrace in Leeds.

The body, which is yet to be identified, was found close to Wrangthorn Church Hall by fire service personnel, who had been called to a report of a bin on fire in the area at about 7pm on Saturday evening.

West Yorkshire police said two men, aged 37 and 50, from the Leeds area are in custody.

Detective Superintendent Simon Atkinson, of the Homicide and Major Enquiries Team, said: “Enquiries are obviously at a very early stage and we are yet to confirm the circumstances of this person’s death.

“I would like anyone who was in the area this evening who may have seen any suspicious activity to contact police on 101, or to report it anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.”

Advertisement

Martinez confirms Everton approach for Leeds star

Roberto Martinez has confirmed that Everton have made an approach for Leeds defender Sam Byram.

The 22-year-old is out of contract at the end of this season and it was reported on Thursday that the Toffees have had a fee worth up to £5million accepted by the Elland Road side.

Everton want Sam Byram. Credit: PA

Byram is a long-term option which could provide a short-term fix with Seamus Coleman out injured, but Martinez pointed out that any potential deal is still a long way off.

"There has been an approach. There is nothing else to comment on. You have to careful," he said. "From there to conclusive news is a long gap."

Leeds goalkeeper leaves club due to family matter

Horton has returned to America. Credit: leedsunited.com

Goalkeeper Charlie Horton has left Leeds to return to America for personal reasons having only arrived at Elland Road this summer.

Horton, 23, has cited a private family matter in his decision to leave Steve Evans' team with immediate effect.

Horton told the club's official website: “I’ve had to leave because of a private family matter back home.

“For me there is only one thing which comes before this football club – my family. That is the sole reason I’m going home.

“I ask people to respect my privacy while I handle it, as it is not a short-term matter.

“I’m extremely grateful for the compassion and understanding I have received from Massimo Cellino and Steve Evans. They have been absolutely top drawer about it."

Leeds Fans Utd release statement after Cellino refuses to sell

Cellino (right) has refused to sell the club. Credit: PA

Leeds owner Massimo Cellino's lawyers have informed Leeds Fans Utd that he no longer wishes to sell his stake in the club to fans.

Leeds Fans Utd have released the following statement:

Leeds Fans Utd has just been informed by the lawyers of Massimo Cellino that he no longer wishes to sell to Leeds fans. Our insistence on him confirming his verbal offer of exclusivity in a legally binding agreement has forced transparency on his motives. It is much better that we identify this insincerity now before we spend our shareholders' money.

This exercise has proved our capacity to adapt to any acquisition scenario very quickly. We now know we have the capacity to do both a minority and majority deal, and it has shown that Leeds fans have a desire for fan ownership.

We hope that Massimo will treat the club and fans with respect and honour.

– Leeds Fans Utd

Advertisement

Leeds owner Cellino to appeal Football League ban

Cellino will appeal his ban. Credit: PA

Leeds owner Massimo Cellino will appeal against his latest Football League ban, reports Press Association Sport.

Earlier this month Cellino was banned for a second time for breaching the Football League's owners' and directors' rules following a conviction for tax evasion this year.

The Italian served his previous ban from January until May, having been found guilty of failing to pay VAT on a yacht.

Cellino, who has three further criminal cases against him still outstanding, had until October 28 to appeal against his latest ban and it is understood he has submitted the necessary paperwork ahead of Wednesday's deadline.

If he is unsuccessful, the 59-year-old, who took over at Elland Road in April 2014, will be unable to take part in the day-to-day running of the Sky Bet Championship club, forcing him to pass control to someone else.

The Football League has yet to confirm the length of any ban, but it is thought it would end in June 2016 - 12 months from the date of his conviction when it will be spent under English law.

Load more updates