A teenager believed to have taken laughing gas at a party in London has died.Read the full story ›
Police are investigating after five people were taken ill after taking ‘legal highs’ at the Parklife festival in Manchester.
Those affected received treatment at North Manchester General hospital after drinking poppers which they bought at the festival.
Four people have since been released from hospital, but a 26-year-old woman remains in hospital for treatment.
Police have confiscated 400 of the poppers sold by Parklife, but are urging people who have bought poppers at the festival not to ingest them and to hand them into police immediately.
Chief Inspector Gary Simpson said: “We are now extremely concerned that people are drinking poppers and this poses a significant risk to life and would urge anyone using, or considering using them or any ‘legal high’ to cease from doing so immediately, before it’s too late."
The incidents follow police warnings last week that festival goers could be "playing Russian roulette" with their lives if they took anothe r legal high known as Vertex.
Revellers attending this weekend's Parklife festival in Manchester have been warned by police about the dangers of the 'Vertex' legal high.Read the full story ›
The number of 'legal high' substances seized at Britain's borders has increased by three-quarters, according to new figures.
More than 3.5 tonnes of new psychoactive substances were intercepted by Border Force officers in 2014/15, up from just over 2 tonnes the previous year.
Officials said the "vast majority" of substances detected originate in China.
The Home Office said packages are ordered online and are often imported with bogus descriptions such as bath salts or detergent powder.
The Government has announced a crackdown on legal highs, which mimic the effects of drugs such as cocaine, cannabis and ecstasy.
Producers and suppliers of the substances will face up to seven years in prison under new laws unveiled in the Queen's Speech.
So-called legal highs are set to be banned en masse. But what are they, and why is this drastic move necessary?Read the full story ›
The new Psychoactive Substances Bill creates a blanket ban on the sale of legal highs, with up to 7 years in jail for selling them.Read the full story ›
Five students from Lancaster University have been hospitalised after taking the controversial legal high "Spice", the university has said.
Two of the five students are said to be critically ill, a university spokesperson also said.
Urgent message: Several students have been hospitalised today after taking legal high Spice – please check on friends and call 999 if needed
"Spice" is a synthetic compound with similar effects to cannabis that has been widely condemned by health professionals.
A national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of new psychoactive substances (NPS) - so-called 'legal' highs - among teenagers and young adults has been launched by the Home Office.
The radio, digital and mobile phone adverts are aimed at people aged 15 to 21 and warn them about the risks of taking the drugs.
The campaign focuses on the risks and harms associated with a range of legal highs including nitrous oxide, which is commonly known as "laughing gas".
Government scientists are being sent to the V Festival to analyse samples of so-called legal highs amid renewed warnings against taking the party drugs.
The Home Office is launching a national campaign highlighting the risks of legal highs including laughing gas, which was more widely used than powdered cocaine and ecstasy last year.
They are aiming to gather information about which new substances are available in the UK, and the latest Home Office annual report on the trends is due to be published today.
Legal highs are so popular the only option is to "educate people who are using them" about how they can make safer choices about the drugs they take, an addiction specialist told Good Morning Britain.
Associate medical director of the CRI, David Bremner, said: "In a matter of days a new drug will be released that will have one molecule changed that then beats the law so that it is no longer illegal...all we can do is educate people who are using them on how to make safer choices."