Live updates

'He's only a baby!' heard as 17 year old's verdict read out

There were tears in the public gallery as 17-year-old Cairo Parker's manslaughter verdict was read out as someone cried out, "He's only a baby!"

Cairo Parker, 17, was found guilty of manslaughter but not four counts of murder. Credit: Leicestershire Police

The judge Mr Justice John Griffith Williams lifted restrictions on naming Parker and said he would hear mitigation tomorrow afternoon before sentencing the defendants on Wednesday morning.

Eight men found guilty over Leicester house fire deaths

Kemo Porter, 19, and Tristan Richards, 22 were found guilty of murdering a mother and her three children in a botched revenge attack.

Six other defendants were found guilty of manslaughter, but cleared of four counts of murder. They are:

  • Shaun Carter, 24
  • Nathaniel Mullings, 19
  • Jackson Powell, 20
  • Aaron Webb, 20
  • Akeem Jeffers, 21
  • Cairo Parker, 17

Advertisement

  1. Central

Five others guilty of manslaughter in Leicester house fire case

Five men have been found guilty of manslaughter but cleared of murder in the Leicester house fire case.

A mother and her three children died in the house fire. Credit: Rui Vieira/PA Wire

It comes after 19 year old Kemo Porter and Tristan Richards who is 22 were been found guilty of murdering a mother and her three children in a house fire in Leicester in the early hours of September 13 last year.

Another man Shaun Carter was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter.

  1. Central

Man guilty of manslaughter in house fire trial

Shaun Carter cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter Credit: ITV News Central

Shaun Carter has been cleared of the murders of a mother and her three children in a house fire in Leicester but guilty of their manslaughter.

The jury has retired to further consider verdicts against the remaining five defendants after the judge told them he would now accept majority verdicts.

Men guilty of murder in botched revenge attack

Two men have been found guilty of murdering a mother and her three children in a botched revenge attack.

Read: Pair guilty of murdering mother and children in house fire

The family died when a fire engulfed their house in Wood Hill, Leicester in September last year:

  • Shehnila Taufiq, 47
  • Zainab Taufiq, 19
  • Bilal, 17
  • Jamal, 15

Kemo Porter, 19, and Tristan Richards, 22, were found guilty of their murders at Nottingham Crown court.

A third man, Shaun Carter, 24, was found not guilty of four counts of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

Prosecutors said the fire was a botched revenge attack for the stabbing of Antoin Akpom, 20, but that the killers attacked the wrong house.

  1. Central

Two guilty of murdering family in Leicester house fire

Kemo Porter Credit: ITV Central

Two people accused of starting a fire which killed a family of four in Leicester have been found guilty of their murders.

19 year old Kemo Porter and Tristan Richards who is 22 have been found guilty at Nottingham Crown Court of murdering a mother and her three children in a house fire in Leicester in the early hours of September 13 last year.

Tristan Richards Credit: ITV Central

Advertisement

Shakespeare's Richard III was 'complete fabrication'

Paul Daneman played Shakespeare's Richard III in a 1960 BBC adaption. Credit: PA

Enthusiasts of Richard III have said a study examining his spine has shown the Shakespearean description of him as a "bunch-backed toad" is a "complete fabrication".

Scientists from the University of Leicester's School of Archaelogy and Ancient History produced a 3D reconstruction of the king's spine after his skeleton was found beneath a Leicester car park.

Dr Phil Stone, chairman of the Richard III Society, said it is "yet more proof that, while the plays are splendid dramas, they are also most certainly fiction not fact."

Leicester 'proud' to bury Richard III

Leicester Cathedral where Richard III will now be buried. Credit: PA

Nick Rushton, leader of Leicestershire County Council, said: "I'm glad the waiting is over and the issue is finally settled.

"It has been a very undignified time as you must remember this is the body of a man - and a king of England. He deserves to be buried with dignity and honour in Leicester Cathedral.

"Next year it will be 530 years since Richard III died at Bosworth - the last King to die in battle - and it will be with great pride that the people of Leicestershire will be part of the ceremony."

Load more updates