President Obama is expected to issue an executive order to send US National Guard forces to Liberia to assist in the fight against Ebola, sources have told NBC News.
According to sources, no decision has been made, but the initial deployment would include eight guard and reserve engineers and logistics specialists to assist in the construction of seventeen 100-bed treatment centers for Ebola patients.
An executive would help cut through the usual official red tape and delays so that guard and reserve forces could be ordered to deploy to west Africa on a moment's notice.
While the initial force may be small in number the order would give the President the option to send further forces.
Oxfam has called for a greater focus on the prevention of new Ebola cases in West Africa in addition to managing existing cases and fatalities.
The charity says that many new Ebola cases are due to a "lack of access to basic washing facilities or because of their lack of knowledge about how the disease is spread".
It plans to triple its programmes in Sierra Leone and Liberia to provide water and hygiene and sanitation supplies, as well as public awareness campaigns.
An international medical official with the United Nations mission in Liberia tests positive for Ebola, according to Reuters citing the UN.
The official, who has not been identified, is the second member of the mission to contract the deadly disease. The first died last month.
An American cameraman working for NBC News in Liberia has tested positive for Ebola, the US network said.
The 33-year-old freelancer was on assignment in the country's capital of Monrovia covering the Ebola outbreak and will be flown back to the US for treatment.
NBC said the journalist, whose name has been withheld, is the fourth American to have contracted Ebola in Liberia.
A man who flew from Liberia to Texas has become the first patient infected with the deadly Ebola virus to be diagnosed in the United States, health officials said.
The patient sought treatment six days after arriving in Texas on September 20th, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters.
He was admitted two days later to an isolation room at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.
On Tuesday, Frieden and other health authorities said they were taking every step possible to ensure the virus did not spread widely.
A missionary health worker has become the third American to be infected with Ebola while working in Liberia, the Christian organisation SIM USA has said.
Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, had been delivering babies and working with patients who were not known to have the deadly virus.
Sacra is receiving care within the missionary's isolated Ebola unit in Monrovia, the president of SIM USA said.
The bodies of two men lay in the streets of Monrovia for four days after they died of suspected Ebola, residents told Reuters news agency.
Both men had shown signs of having Ebola but frightened locals had refused to take them to hospital.
Information Minister Lewis Brown confirmed that the bodies had now been collected from the Liberian capital, but said they had only been on the streets for a few hours.
Former Liberian president Charles Taylor is to be transferred to a prison in the UK to serve his 50-year sentence for war crimes, Justice Minister Jeremy Wright has confirmed.
Appeal judges at The Hague have upheld former Liberian president Charles Taylor's 50-year prison sentence for war crimes, Reuters have reported.