Live updates

Advertisement

Advertisement

Coutinho refuses to commit future to Liverpool

Coutinho refuses to rule out a move away from Liverpool in the future. Credit: PA

Philippe Coutinho has pledged to continue to do his best for Liverpool but refused to commit his future to the club.

The Brazil international was frustrated when his transfer request was rejected in the summer as the club rebuffed three bids from Barcelona.

Since then speculation has continued to encircle the 25-year-old, who captained the side and scored a hat-trick in the 7-0 demolition of Spartak Moscow which booked their place in the knockout stage of the Champions League, with his Catalan suitors reportedly ready to make another approach.

"I am at Liverpool and I always do my best when I have the opportunity to play, respecting the jersey and the supporters," said Coutinho, who has scored nine goals in 13 appearances this season.

"I do not know how the future is going to be. What will happen in January, we will know it in January. I do not know if there will be an offer.

"Last summer there was a job offer in the same way that happens with any employee and I was interested in it. Since I stayed I have played with will and desire.

"Of course a lot happened in the summer but my will is always to play and do the best wherever I am - that has not changed.

"I am here (at Liverpool), we have a lot of games and I try to do my best to help."

Liverpool boss Klopp hopeful over Joel Matip recovery

Joel Matip was initially ruled out for the entire Christmas schedule. Credit: PA

Liverpool defender Joel Matip could return to action sooner than expected, according to Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

Matip missed Saturday's 5-1 win at Brighton due to a thigh injury sustained in the recent victory at Stoke, and it was initially feared he could be sidelined for the entire Christmas fixture schedule.

The Cameroon international will not be back for this week's Champions League clash against Spartak Moscow and seems likely to miss Sunday's Merseyside derby at Anfield.

"He has hurt his muscle. I don't know how long exactly he'll be out, but he's definitely not playing Wednesday," Klopp told Liverpool's website.

"A month? No, I don't think so. But as always, it's possible. We have to wait. But it's possible that it will be shorter. We will see."

Klopp was forced to start with midfield pair Georginio Wijnaldum and Emre Can in a makeshift three-man defence at Brighton.

"Emre needs to do that, like Gini can do that. They have to do it, we don't have anybody else," Klopp added.

"I enjoyed it. It was like, 'Wow, interesting'. We had 20 minutes in training and then we spoke for a little bit in the team meeting before the game again about it.

"But it's not long. It was clear it wouldn't be perfect, but the boys were ready to cope with the difficulties of the new system. They did really well."

Load more updates