Live updates

Jose Mourinho rules out Chelsea trio

Mourinho takes training at Cobham this morning. Credit: PA

Jose Mourinho has ruled out Andre Schurrle, Ramires and Diego Costa for Chelsea's Champions League tie against Maribor on Tuesday evening.

Top goalscorer Costa will again miss out after failing to recover from a hamstring injury in time for Saturday's Premier League victory over Crystal Palace.

Mourinho is likely to use both Didier Drogba and Loic Remy at some stage tomorrow night after revealing that Drogba is not fit enough to play a whole match.

"He's not in conditions to play for 90 minutes," Mourinho explained. "But he's fit to play, starting or not starting, Didier is in much better condition."

Rodgers: Sterling didn't refuse to start for England

Rodgers says that Sterling didn't tell Hodgson he was tired. Credit: PA

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has leapt to the defence of Raheem Sterling, but insists there is no club versus country row between him and England manager Roy Hodgson.

The Liverpool and England winger has been embroiled in the middle of a club v country row after it was reported that he told Hodgson he was 'tired' before the game against Estonia last week - leading to the England boss dropping him for the match.

Rodgers has now denied that Sterling ever said that: "What has been disappointing in the whole affair is it has been grossly unfair how the kid has been put on the back pages for something he clearly did not say."

The Liverpool boss also insists that the club is always happy to work with England and there is no 'barrier' between the two.

"We are club and country here, not club v country. Liverpool are no barrier to England."

Rodgers also said messages have been exchanged between himself and Hodgson after the incident but the two have yet to meet.

Read: Rodgers says Sterling is being hung out to dry

Advertisement

Rodgers: Sturridge out of England qualifiers but could play this weekend

Sturridge could feature for Liverpool on Saturday. Credit: PA

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers believes striker Daniel Sturridge is not fit enough to play for England in their upcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers later this month, despite admitting the striker could return from injury for Liverpool on Saturday.

The 25-year-old is currently sidelined with a thigh strain injury he picked up on England duty three weeks ago, and subsequently did not travel to Basle for the Reds' Champions League Group B match on Wednesday night.

Rodgers confirmed that although Sturridge may take part in the Reds' home Premier League clash against West Brom on Saturday, he would not be classed fit to play in England's two qualifiers against San Marino on October 9 and three days later against Estonia.

Sturridge was injured on England duty in September. Credit: PA

He told reporters: "He won't be fit to play for England whether he's available for the weekend or not.

"I don't think he's fit to play for England. We're hoping he can develop over the next 48 hours to be in a position to train with the team on Thursday and maybe be available for the squad on Saturday.

"But if we're talking about players being picked for international duty then they need to be fit and play and Daniel certainly won't be fit."

Advertisement

Liverpool granted permission to increase Anfield capacity

Anfield's capacity will increase to around 54,000. Credit: Liverpool FC

Liverpool have won planning permission to add an additional 8,500 seats to the Main Stand at Anfield - increasing the capacity to around 54,000.

It emerged last week that the club's proposals to expand their stadium had been recommended for approval by Liverpool council planners.

A vote was taken on the scheme on Tuesday after elected members of the planning committee visited Anfield, with the Reds being given the green light to proceed with phase one of the project - the extension of the Main Stand.

In phase two, the Anfield Road stand would be increased, with the project as a whole taking the capacity from around 45,000 to around 58,800.

The resolution from members of Liverpool City Council's Planning Committee to grant planning permission, subject to conditions and legal agreement, was unanimous.

Construction work on the proposed Main Stand - during which matches will continue to be played at Anfield - is expected to begin early next year and be complete in time for the 2016-17 season.

Load more updates