Live updates

Van Gaal defends decision that Man United fans jeered

Louis van Gaal stood by his controversial decision to substitute Anthony Martial for Marouane Fellaini in Manchester United's narrow victory over CSKA Moscow.

Van Gaal didn't seem bothered by the Man United fans' booing. Credit: Reuters

Despite the victory, and the end to a 404-minute long goal drought, some United supporters were far from happy during parts of the game.

Loud boos rang out around Old Trafford when Van Gaal replaced Martial with Fellaini in the 66th minute and the home support then yelled "We're Man Utd, we want to attack".

Had it not been for Rooney's 79th-minute header, more boos would have followed after the final whistle, but Van Gaal was in no mood to back down after the match.

The Dutchman said:

'Of course, I am not deaf. That is the opinion of the fans. Afterwards they shall not be disappointed by the decision of the manager.

I'm very happy because I put him again in the striker's position and he scored.'

– Man United manager Louis van Gaal



Louis van Gaal confirms Man United will sign striker

Louis van Gaal has confirmed Manchester United are in the process of recruiting a new striker.

Van Gaal is keeping his cards close to his chest. Credit: PA

Senior sources at United were insistent last week that the Red Devils were not after a new front man, but after United's 1-0 win over Club America at the weekend Van Gaal hinted a "surprise" signing might be in store.

And on the eve of United's second tour match in California against the San Jose Earthquakes, the United boss again dropped a cryptic clue which suggested a forward could be coming to Old Trafford.

"He is in the process," Van Gaal said bluntly when asked about his "surprise" signing.

When asked whether United were close to signing the striker in question, Van Gaal said: "No. It is not a striker that the media has written, but you have to wait and see.

"The transfer period is open until September 1. You have to wait."

Valdes responds to Man Utd boss Van Gaal on Twitter

Victor Valdes has responded to Louis van Gaal's claims that he refused to play for Man United's U21 side by posting a photo of himself with the team last season.

Red Devils boss Van Gaal omitted Valdes from United's pre-season Tour of the USA this week, and told reporters he would sell the former Barcelona goalkeeper because "he refused to play in the second team" last season.

Spanish international Valdes reponded to those comments this morning by posting images of the three second string matches he featured in for Van Gaal's side last term, against Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool.

It remains unclear which match Valdes is accused of failing to play in for Van Gaal, who is also fighting to keep David de Gea at Old Trafford, and is likely to be questioned over the social media post during his next media obligations in America.

Load more updates