Live updates

Man arrested after elderly woman stabbed to death

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after being detained by members of the public following the stabbing of an elderly woman motorist, police said.

Bedfordshire Police said the victim, a woman in her 70s, was fatally injured around 3pm yesterday in Trent Road, Luton.

A man in his 50s was detained by members of the public at the scene and police arrested the man, who was known to the victim, on suspicion of attempted murder.

He was taken to Luton Police Station for questioning and subsequently re-arrested on suspicion of murder.

Man stabbed several times by burglars during break-in

A father is being treated in hospital after he was stabbed several times by burglars during a break-in at his home.

Three men are believed to have forced their way into the man's home in Luton in the early hours of the morning as his family slept.

He was awoken by a noise and went downstairs to investigate at around 3.25am on Saturday morning but was stabbed when he confronted the burglars, who then fled on foot.

The man, said to be in a serious but stable condition, was taken to Luton and Dunstable Hospital after the alarm was raised by his wife and daughter.

Detective Constable Mo Hussain said: "This was an appalling attack on a family man within his own home and I would urge anyone with information to come forward and speak with us.

"While the victim has suffered some very nasty injuries, he is in a stable condition and has responded very well to treatment."

Advertisement

M1 northbound closed after 5-car incident near Luton

Multiple emergency service vehicles attend the scene. Credit: ITV News

The M1 northbound was closed between junctions 11 and 12 on Saturday afternoon after a road traffic accident involving five cars near Luton, fire services said.

One vehicle was on its roof in the fast lane where rescue workers were attempting to free a trapped woman.

Four fire engines are currently in attendance, Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

Emergency services received reports of the incident at 12.15pm on Saturday.

Firefighters attempt to rescue a woman trapped in an overturned vehicle. Credit: ITV News

Duo jailed for pushing destitute men into forced labour

Tommy Connors Senior (left), 53, who was jailed for eight years and his son Patrick Connors (right), 21, for five years. Credit: Bedfordshire Police/PA Wire

A father and son who forced destitute men into servitude for up to 15 years at a time have been jailed.

Tommy Connors Senior, 53, was jailed for eight years and his son Patrick, 21, for five years at Luton Crown Court, Bedfordshire Police said.

The pair, from the Greenacres site in Little Billington, Leighton Buzzard, had been convicted last July of servitude, compulsory labour and assault charges after a trial at the court.

They were sentenced after a separate trial failed to reach verdicts on other charges against both men and two more of Connors Senior's sons James Connors, 25, and Tommy Junior Connors, 27.

The daughter of Connors Senior and her husband were jailed over slavery charges last year.

Anglia

Gang tried to make bomb from terror manual

The Luton terrorist group were trying to make an an improvised explosive device (IED) based on instructions in an al Qaida manual entitled "Make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom - by the al Qaida chef", the court was told.

Covert recordings of the pair heard Iqbal suggesting attaching the bomb to a remote controlled toy car and sending it under the gap of a gate to a Territorial Army (TA) centre in Luton.

The men were arrested following a series of raids at their homes in April last year after an intelligence-led joint operation by the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command and the British Security Service (BSS).

CPS: Plotters were 'dangerous & committed terrorists'

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the four "dangerous and committed terrorists" will "no longer be a threat to the British public" as they begin their prison sentences.

Deputy head of Counter-Terrorism at the CPS, Deborah Walsh, said, “All four men have shown a deep commitment to engage in violent 'Jihad'".

The Territorial Army centre in Luton that the four men planned to target.
The Territorial Army centre in Luton that the four men planned to target. Credit: ITV News Anglia

"In April 2011, [Zahid] Iqbal and [Mohammed Sharfaraz] Ahmed discussed an attack on the Territorial Army base in Luton using explosives placed on a remote controlled car. Independent forensic evidence has confirmed the device was viable", she continued

Although the attack was prevented, Ms Walsh said the case "highlights the continued threat posed by UK-based terrorists and the complex web of international support that informs and encourages their dangerous and destructive plans".

"It is also a reminder that terrorist activity committed abroad can and will be prosecuted in UK courts”, she added.

Advertisement

Bomb plotters sentenced after admitting charges

Umar Arshad, 24, was jailed for six years and nine months and Syed Farhan Hussain, 22, for five years and three months for their roles in preparing for the terrorist attack at a Territorial Army centre.

Umar Arshad (left) and Syed Farhan Hussain.
Umar Arshad (left) and Syed Farhan Hussain. Credit: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

The men, all from Luton, admitted one count of engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism between January 1 2011 and April 25 2012 at a hearing on March 1.

The men were arrested following a series of raids at their homes in April last year after an intelligence-led joint operation by the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command and the British Security Service (BSS).

Bomb plotters posed 'significant risk' to public

Zahid Iqbal, 31, and Mohammed Sharfaraz Ahmed, 25, were sentenced to 16 years and three months in prison today after admitting terror charges.

Zahid Iqbal (left) and Mohammed Sharfaraz Ahmed.
Zahid Iqbal (left) and Mohammed Sharfaraz Ahmed. Credit: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire

London's Woolwich Crown Court heard that the pair discussed sending a remote-controlled toy car carrying a home-made bomb under the gates of a Territorial Army centre in Luton.

Mr Justice Wilkie QC said they posed "a significant risk of serious harm to the public" as he imposed a custodial sentence of least 11 years and three months, with a five-year extension period subject to licence.

Four men sentenced over plotting UK terror attack

Four men have been sentenced to between five and 16 years in prison after they admitted terror charges.

Zahid Iqbal, 31, and Mohammed Sharfaraz Ahmed, 25, were each given sentences of 16 years and three months at Woolwich Crown Court for plotting an al Qaida-inspired terror attack on a Territorial Army centre in Luton.

Umar Arshad, 24, was jailed for six years and nine months and Syed Farhan Hussain, 22,for five years and three months for their roles in preparing for the attack.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories