The scale and reach of jihadist groups has been revealed as a truly 'global threat' following both last Friday's terror attack in Paris and today's hotel siege in Mali.
ITV News International Affairs Editor Rageh Omaar reports:
There was fear and panic in Mali on Friday as one of the capital's most exclusive hotel's came under attack from gunmen.
European, US and other citizens were taken hostage as the armed attackers stormed the Radisson Blu hotel and barricaded themselves inside before security forces were able to get in and evacuate those being held.
As many as 170 people were held hostage for several hours during the siege and at least 27 bodies have been recovered since the hostage situation ended.
ITV News Africa Correspondent John Ray reports:
Mali has declared a 10-day state of emergency following the attack on the Radisson Blu hotel in the capital city of Bamako.
At least 27 people were killed after gunmen targeted the hotel.
Earlier it was confirmed the attack at the hotel had come to an end.
Three Britons were among the 170 people held hostage after gunmen stormed a hotel in Mali earlier today.
Secretary of State Philip Hammond posted a message of support to all three British hostages who had been safely evacuated following the hotel siege.
An Algerian jihadist is 'likely' to be behind the Mali hotel attack, according to reports.
A French minister told AFP that Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the leader of the Islamist militant group Al-Murabitoun, was the suspected mastermind behind the attack which killed at least 27.
Earlier this evening al Mourabitoun itself claimed joint responsibility for the siege.
A hotel in Mali's capital was targeted by gunmen in an attack which killed 27 and saw 170 people held hostage for several hours.Read the full story ›
Islamist militant group al Mourabitoun has reportedly claimed joint responsibility for the attack on a hotel in the Malian capital.
According to neighbouring nation Mauritania's Alakhbar news agency al Mourabitoun have said they were behind teh attack along with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb
Ban Ki-Moon, the UN's secretary general, has condemned the "horrific terrorist attack" on a Mali hotel which is believed to have killed at least 27 people.
Speaking after security forces on the ground confirmed the remaining hostages had been evacuated his spokesman said: "The secretary-general condemns the horrific terrorist attacks at the Radisson Hotel in Bamako, which killed an unknown number of civilians and injured many more."
The CEO of the Rezidor hotel group, owners of the Radisson Blu in Mali which came under attack from armed gunmen, has extended his "deep sympathy" to the families and friends of those who were held hostage during the siege.
Wolfgang Neumann, CEO of the Rezidor hotel group, posted a video message online assuring people that the "safety and security for our guests and employees is our top priority" and expressing his "deep sympathy and personal concern for all of the guests and employees affected by the terrible events."
Special forces are "still trying to dislodge" gunmen from a Mali hotel which came under siege earlier today.
Mali's security ministry spokesman told Reuters officials were "trying to dislodge Islamist gunmen from upper floors" of the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.
Amadou Sangho said: "The attackers no longer have hostages. They are dug in in the upper floors. They are alone with the Malian special forces who are trying to dislodge them."