Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan has ruled Malky Mackay out of the running to be the next permanent Scotland manager.
Mackay was handed the reins on a caretaker basis after Gordon Strachan lost his job last month, but is set to return to his role as SFA performance director after facing Holland in a friendly.
Regan had already stated Mackay could not do both jobs on a longer-term basis but has now declared the former Cardiff manager will not be switching roles.
When asked if Mackay was a genuine contender, Regan told talkSPORT radio: "No, Malky and I have discussed this. He's got a big job on his hands, he's said that himself. He's been asked by the board to take charge for one game and that's what he's doing. He's very proud to lead his country."
Regan is in no hurry to find a long-term successor to Strachan, who departed despite being unbeaten in 2017 after Scotland finished third in their World Cup qualifying group.
"We have got a very long list of candidates, as you can imagine for an opportunity like this," he said.
"We don't have a competitive game until next September and therefore this is not something we need to rush into. We are going to take our time, we're going to consider the candidates and we're going to try to identify the person we believe can lead us to Euro 2020.
"There's lots of people that have put their name in the frame - out-of-work managers and a number of managers who are already under contract. We've had a lot of interest in the job.
Malky Mackay's impending appointment as performance director of the Scottish Football Association has been backed by an anti-racism groupRead the full story ›
Anti-racism campaigners have accused the Football Association of damaging its own credibility and undermining its stance on discrimination after deciding not to charge former Cardiff boss Malky Mackay.
The FA announced on Thursday that neither the Scot nor the club's then head of recruitment Iain Moody would face disciplinary action over discriminatory text messages they exchanged during their time at the club.
The governing body said that the messages were sent ''with a legitimate expectation of privacy''.
But Kick it Out, which seeks to tackle racism and discrimination within football, has hit out at the move.
A statement said: "Kick It Out is of the view that The Football Association has damaged its own credibility and anti-discrimination policies by taking the decision not to charge former Cardiff City and Wigan Athletic manager Malky Mackay and Iain Moody, a former employee of Cardiff and Crystal Palace, for alleged racist, anti-Semitic, sexist and homophobic comments revealed by the Daily Mail in August 2014."
Wigan Athletic have fired manager Malky Mackay following their 2-0 home defeat by Derby County, the English Championship club said.Read the full story ›
Wigan boss Malky Mackay has given his backing to new club chairman David Sharpe.
Sharpe, 23, has replaced his grandfather Dave Whelan at the helm of the the Lancashire club, with many expressing concern at his inexperience.
"It's easy to have a throwaway line about a 23-year-old taking over a football club but he's been round about the football club since he was a young man," said Mackay.
"He's here every day, is at every game and knows the inside of the football club. I look at the experience and the amount of time somebody has been at a football club.
"He's got good people round about him and I know the things that drive him, the things he's passionate about and they are good values for wanting a football club to go forward in terms of academy and recruitment."
Wigan owner Dave Whelan has used the Jewish Telegraph to apologise for comments he made that prompted claims of anti-semitismRead the full story ›
The Cardiff City Supporters Trust has decided to withdraw former manager Malky Mackay's honorary membershipRead the full story ›
Wigan shirt sponsor Premier Range will withdraw from their deal with the club following the appointment of Malky Mackay.
Mackay is currently being investigated by the Football Association for sending offensive texts, causing Wigan to be heavily criticised for hiring him.
Premier Range told the BBC: "Unfortunately, their recent appointment of Malky Mackay has put us in a position that we find untenable.
"Mr Mackay is currently under investigation by the FA for sending text messages that are at odds with the general ethos here at Premier Range - and, it would seem, Cardiff and QPR feel the same as us.
"The texts Mr Mackay has admitted to sending are wholly unacceptable - and the thoughts expressed within them are a shocking reminder of a past we thought football had left behind.
"A team that would employ a man who expresses views such these is not the kind of team Premier Range wish to deal with."
Harry Redknapp says Malky Mackay should be welcomed back into football having learned his lesson.
Mackay was appointed Wigan manager on Wednesday, despite being under investigation by the Football Association regarding offensive texts sent between himself and Iain Moody.
"I am sure his life has been hell for the last few months," Redknapp said.
"He has made a mistake but lots of people make mistakes in life - half the people who judge him have probably made more mistakes.
"It is easy to kick someone when they are down. He has got a second chance now. He has got the backing of the chairman and hopefully he will do well.
"He made a big mistake - you can't do what he did, and he has accepted that. He has apologised I am sure he has learned from that."
Anti-racism group Kick It Out have criticised Wigan's decision hire former Cardiff manager Malky Mackay.Read the full story ›