Man City have hijacked a £46m deal that would have seen rivals Man United sign Benfica midfielder Renato Sanches.
According to reports in Portugal, Pep Guardiola was so impressed with the 18 year old during Bayern Munich's two Champions League ties against Benfica that he instructed City officials to pursue the teenager immediately.
With the media reporting that United are on the brink of confirming the Portuguese international, it remains to be seen whether he favours a move to the blue half of Manchester.
After starring for Benfica's B team in 2014/15, Sanchez forced his way into the first team in October 2015, two months after celebrating his 18th birthday.
A string of commanding performances since then earned Sanches his first two senior Portugal caps as he began drawing comparisons with Paul Pogba, the French international whose loss at Old Trafford still rankles with the club's hierarchy.
One key factor in the chase for Sanches could boil down to whether Jose Mourinho replaces Louis van Gaal in the summer, since Mourinho and Sanches are both represented by Portuguese super agent Jorge Mendes.
Raheem Sterling believes Manchester City and England will reap the benefits of his big-money summer move to the Etihad StadiumRead the full story ›
Leaders Manchester City are still without playmaker David Silva for their Premier League trip to Aston Villa on SundayRead the full story ›
Manchester City playmaker David Silva is not fit to return for the leaders' Premier League clash with Norwich on SaturdayRead the full story ›
Wolfsburg's director of sport Klaus Allofs admits the ongoing rumours surrounding the future of Kevin De Bruyne is affecting the Belgian midfielders' performances after the Wolves were held to a 1-1 draw by Cologne on Saturday.
Manchester City are expected to make a bid for last season's Bundesliga Player of the Year this week, with reports claiming they have already struck an agreement over terms with the player.
De Bruyne has looked a shadow of his usual self in Wolfsburg's opening two Bundesliga fixtures and Allofs fears the uncertainty about his future is having a negative influence.
"It's true, of course, that it's having an effect on us," Allofs told Sky Sport Deutschland. "But we must not start to complain.
"I will not accept that as an excuse. We have got to learn how to deal with these disturbances and this uncertainty."
Arsenal want to break their transfer record to land Karim Benzema, while Manchester City could make a move for Saido BerahinoRead the full story ›
Our history is built on coming back to WIN.....its what we do best...I can't wait for the new season already
Man City have apologised to Man United boss Sir Alex Ferguson after striker Carlos Tevez held up a banner reading 'RIP Fergie'Read the full story ›
Wayne Rooney has congratulated Manchester City on his Facebook page, for winning their first title in 44 years. The United striker said:
"Congratulations to all involved with Manchester City they have won the best and hardest league in the world and deserve credit for that.
"Still gutted today as any Manchester United team should be, we have given our all but unfortunately we came up short on goal difference alone.
"This season we have had to cope with a number of long term injuries to important players and I think it speaks well for the future that the squad has pushed this title race to the last 60 seconds of the last game of the season."
Manchester City has apologised to Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson after striker Carlos Tevez held up a banner goading his former manager.
Tevez also expressed his regret after he was pictured with a sign which read 'RIP Fergie' during City's celebratory title-winning parade in Manchester.
The 28-year-old is thought to have been passed or thrown the banner by a fan as City's open-top bus made its way through the city centre with the squad and the Barclays Premier League trophy.