Live updates

Otamendi pens new Man City deal until 2022

Nicolas Otamendi has penned a new deal with Man City Credit: PA

Defender Nicolas Otamendi has extended his contract with Manchester City until 2022, the Premier League club has announced.

The Argentina international has played in all but one of City's 23 Premier League matches so far this season.

Otamendi, 29, joined City from Valencia during the summer of 2015, having moved to Spain from Porto.

The defender has become an integral part of Pep Guardiola's side, which remained unbeaten in the Premier League until the 4-3 defeat at Liverpool on Sunday.

Otamendi, who has 51 international caps, is expected to feature for Argentina at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

City, who are now 12 points clear at the top of the table, resume the Premier League campaign at home to Newcastle on Saturday.

Next week, Guardiola's side host Sky Bet Championship Bristol City in the second leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final.

Advertisement

Starting XI's: Liverpool v Man City - Karius starts, Van Dijk out

Man City XI: Ederson, Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Delph, Fernandinho (c), De Bruyne, Gundogan, Sane, Sterling, Aguero

Subs: Bravo, Zinchenko, Danilo, Mangala, D Silva, Bernardo, Diaz

Arsenal boss: Sanchez situation is not clear

Alexis Sanchez looks set to leave Arsenal. Credit: PA

Alexis Sanchez has been omitted from Arsenal's squad to face Bournemouth.

Sanchez did not even travel to the south coast, with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger admitting he was left at home over his unresolved future.

Sanchez has refused to sign a new Arsenal contract with his current deal expiring in the summer, and Manchester United and Manchester City are reportedly both keen on recruiting the Chile striker this month.

Wenger confirmed before kick-off at Dean Court that he remained unsure on Sanchez's future.

"He's being vague, we have left him at home because of the situation," Wenger told Sky Sports.

"I still don't know what is going to happen."

Wenger admitted on Friday that Sanchez would not be signing a new Arsenal deal, ultimately paving the way for the 29-year-old to leave the north London club in the current transfer window.

Advertisement

Man City prepared to walk away from Alexis Sanchez deal

Alexis Sanchez has been linked with Manchester City as his contract situation rumbles on. Credit: PA

Manchester City are prepared to walk away from a deal to sign Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez.

The Premier League leaders feel the overall price for signing the Chile forward this month - transfer fee, agent costs and wage demands - is currently too high and must come down.

City are not concerned if this stance opens up a route for another club, even arch-rivals Manchester United, to step in.

Jose Mourinho said: "At the general level, what I can say is that myself and the Manchester United board, we don't believe a lot in the January market. We don't believe in signing players just to sign a player, just to do something. We don't believe in that.

"What we believe really is that there are some players in the football world, if you have a chance to sign them, it doesn't matter if it is in January, March or July, you have to try.

"But in relation to Alexis Sanchez, I don't say a word. The only word I can say is the same word that everybody says, he's a phenomenal player.

"Apart from that, (he's an) Arsenal player, I feel I shouldn't say much more than this."

Sanchez has long been a target for City and they offered £60million for the 29-year-old, without success, last summer. They would now hope to do a deal for a fee of around £20million but are understood to have been quoted £35million.

Liverpool's Salah & Sturridge train ahead of Man City clash

Daniel Sturridge has not played for Liverpool this year. Credit: PA

Mohamed Salah and Daniel Sturridge took part in Liverpool's training session on Wednesday ahead of this weekend's Premier League clash with leaders Manchester City.

Forward Salah, the Reds' top scorer with 23 goals in all competitions this season, has missed the last two matches because of a groin problem.

Sturridge has not been involved in a game since the Champions League victory over Spartak Moscow on December 6 having suffered with illness and injury.

Liverpool announced on their website on Wednesday that the pair had taken part in a session earlier in the day at Melwood.

Sunday's encounter with City at Anfield will be fourth-placed Liverpool's first match since the departure of Brazil playmaker Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona.

Coutinho signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with Barca on Monday as a transfer that could be worth up to £142million to Liverpool was finalised.

Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino, his compatriot, on Wednesday posted a message on Instagram saying "Liverpool is no longer the same without" the "magical" Coutinho.

Accompanied by a picture of the two players in Liverpool shirts with arms around each other, the message said: "Liverpool is no longer the same without the magical bro, I wish the infinite success for you, that you enjoy life. And realise all your dreams brother!!

"God is always protecting you and the whole family!! It was an honour wizard (to) play this time together with you."

Load more updates