Juan Mata expects his Spain and Manchester United team-mate David de Gea to remain professional, despite the disappointment of his failed move to Real Madrid.
The 24-year-old goalkeeper, who has not featured for United this season, was the subject of a bid from hometown club Real on Monday, but the deal fell through due to a miscommunication.
"He seems calm to me, like he always is," Mata told AS.com. "He's had a testing few days, but I've been his friend and by his side throughout.
"It's good that he's here and just thinking about these two matches. He will be professional just like he always has been throughout his career.
"David is a professional and he will remain that way. He's a great goalkeeper and any team would be boosted by his presence. The fans will get behind him, and all of us."
David De Gea needs to knuckle down and get back into the Manchester United team, according to his national team manager.
Vicente del Bosque has warned the goalkeeper he needs to be in the starting line-up at Old Trafford to give him hope of appearing at next summer's Euros.
"He needs to be professional and move on from this episode," Del Bosque said.
"I hope that he starts playing again and is happy, and if he plays well we can bring him along, otherwise if he doesn't play it will be very difficult for him to come (to the Euros)."
Man United have confirmed the signing of France under-21 forward Anthony Martial on a four-year deal from MonacoRead the full story ›
David De Gea will remain a Manchester United player after Uefa confirmed his move to Real Madrid had failed.Read the full story ›
Anthony Martial is one step closer to becoming a Manchester United player after completing his medical with the club.
The Monaco forward is expected to move to Old Trafford for a fee of £36million, which could rise to £56million.
Fifa is understood to be looking into the details surrounding Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea's collapsed transfer but it would be up to Real Madrid to make an appeal as it is the Spanish transfer window which has closed.
The only grounds for a successful appeal would be if the club could prove there was a failure in the administration involving the Spanish authorities.
Manchester United insist Real Madrid are the ones to blame for a shock collapse of David de Gea's proposed move to the Bernabeu.
United and Madrid had agreed a deal worth £29million for the sale of the Spanish goalkeeper on Monday, with Keylor Navas coming to Old Trafford as part of the agreement.
But shortly after the 11pm deadline for European transfers it emerged the necessary paperwork had not been submitted in time and the deal had fallen through as a result.
United insist they uploaded the requisite documents to FIFA's Transfer Matching System before the deadline.
It is understood that United feel it was Madrid who failed to file their paperwork in time and believe they must take the blame for the deal's collapse.
Reports in Spain indicated the documents did not reach the Spanish league office until 28 minutes after the deadline. United have rejected that, claiming they have a time-stamp from FIFA as proof they submitted the documents before the deadline.
West Brom have signed goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard from Manchester United on a free transfer.
The Danish stopper has penned a two-year deal at The Hawthorns after dropping down the pecking order at Old Trafford.
West Brom are in talks with Manchester United over a deal for goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard.
Baggies boss Tony Pulis has been in the market for a new goalkeeper all summer and has turned his attention to Lindegaard after failing in a bid to sign David Marshall from Cardiff.
West Brom had been in discussions with the Bluebirds about Marshall but refused to meet the Welsh club's valuation of the player - reported to be £5million.
Lindegaard has a year remaining on his contract at Manchester United but it is understood his move to The Hawthorns would be on a free transfer.
The 31-year-old, who joined United from Norwegian club Aalesund in January 2011 for a £3.5million fee, has found his first-team chances limited, making the last of 29 appearances 16 months ago in a 4-0 victory against Newcastle at St James' Park.
Anthony Martial appears certain to join Manchester United from Monaco after being given permission to travel to England by the national teamRead the full story ›