Louis van Gaal has confirmed Manchester United are in the process of recruiting a new striker.
Senior sources at United were insistent last week that the Red Devils were not after a new front man, but after United's 1-0 win over Club America at the weekend Van Gaal hinted a "surprise" signing might be in store.
And on the eve of United's second tour match in California against the San Jose Earthquakes, the United boss again dropped a cryptic clue which suggested a forward could be coming to Old Trafford.
"He is in the process," Van Gaal said bluntly when asked about his "surprise" signing.
When asked whether United were close to signing the striker in question, Van Gaal said: "No. It is not a striker that the media has written, but you have to wait and see.
"The transfer period is open until September 1. You have to wait."
Everton boss Roberto Martinez has brushed off suggestions the Merseysiders are on the brink of signing Jonny Evans from Manchester United.
Reports emerged on Wednesday that the 27-year-old Northern Ireland international was close to joining the Toffees, who are short of central defenders after releasing Sylvain Distin and Antolin Alcaraz at the end of last season.
Addressing the speculation at a press conference in Singapore, where Everton are currently on a pre-season tour, the Spaniard said: "It's not true, there's nothing (in that).
"I always said I'm not going to be commenting publicly on any of the names that have been shared around but I can tell you clearly that there is nothing true in that story."
Here, we look at who United could target to take the goalkeeping gloves in time for the 2015-16 campaign.Read the full story ›
Victor Valdes has responded to Louis van Gaal's claims that he refused to play for Man United's U21 side by posting a photo of himself with the team last season.
Red Devils boss Van Gaal omitted Valdes from United's pre-season Tour of the USA this week, and told reporters he would sell the former Barcelona goalkeeper because "he refused to play in the second team" last season.
Spanish international Valdes reponded to those comments this morning by posting images of the three second string matches he featured in for Van Gaal's side last term, against Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool.
It remains unclear which match Valdes is accused of failing to play in for Van Gaal, who is also fighting to keep David de Gea at Old Trafford, and is likely to be questioned over the social media post during his next media obligations in America.
Louis van Gaal says Victor Valdes will be sold because he refused to play for Manchester United's reserves last seasonRead the full story ›
Man United have beaten Liverpool in the race to Christian Benteke and will announce the Belgian striker's signature before this weekendRead the full story ›
Manchester United have still not agreed a fee with Fenerbahce for the transfer of Robin van Persie even though the striker has already been unveiled by the Turkish giants.
Van Persie flew to Turkey on Sunday before completing a medical the following day and then agreeing terms on a three-year contract.
The 31-year-old then appeared at a grand unveiling ceremony at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on Tuesday.
Thousands of fans gathered outside Fenerbahce's stadium to welcome the striker and the player spoke of his delight at joining the club, but Press Association Sport understands the deal has not been completed yet as both teams have yet to agree a fee.
United do not expect to receive a big sum for the Dutchman given that he turns 32 in three weeks' time.
A figure of around £5million has been mooted for the forward, who scored just 10 goals for the club last term.
United are on the lookout for a replacement for Van Persie. Paris St Germain's Edinson Cavani is on their radar and the club retain an interest in Tottenham striker Harry Kane, even though they realise it will be extremely difficult to prise him away from White Hart Lane.
Robin van Persie insists he bears no ill-feeling towards Manchester United for selling him to Fenerbahce and has thanked executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward for making the move happen.
Van Persie was unveiled as a Fenerbahce player on Tuesday at a press conference at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul.
''From my side, there are no hard feelings with how it went. It's part of football, it's part of life," Van Persie said.
"I had a good moment with the players the day before I came to Istanbul so that was special.
"Then you see that everyone really appreciated my time there, that was important for me.
''I highly appreciate the work of (executive vice-chairman) Ed Woodward.
"The way he dealt with this transfer is from a high level, it's very classy, he proved he's a true gentlemen in the way he dealt with the whole situation. Ed, if you're listening, thank you!''
Robin van Persie was welcomed to Fenerbahce on Tuesday afternoon as the Turkish club prepared to unveil the Manchester United striker as their new signing.
The 31-year-old arrived in Istanbul over the weekend and will take part in a signing ceremony at the club's stadium at 6pm local time (4pm GMT) where he is expected to finalise his transfer from United.
Goalkeeper Victor Valdes will not be part of Manchester United's summer trip to USA. Defender Rafael was another senior player who was absent from the squad list.
The Catalan stopper was not named in the 26-man squad, which included goalkeepers Sam Johnstone and Anders Lindegaard, as well as new signing Bastian Schweinsteiger and MOrgan Schneiderlin.