Live updates

Police in Manchester search for motorbike gunmen

Police appealed to the public for help in catching two gunmen on a motorbike. Credit: Peter Byrne/PA Archive

Two gun-wielding motorcyclists reportedly seen firing at a van are being sought by Greater Manchester police.

Officers appealed for witnesses to come forward with information about the shooting, which took place in Salford at around 5.50pm yesterday.

The two men were riding an orange motorbike and fired a handgun at a white van before both they fled the scene at the junction of Lower Broughton Road and Frederick Street.

Police said they had no reports anybody had been injured.

Detective Inspector Kenny Blain said: "We are at the early stages of our inquiries and don't yet know if anybody was hurt. I would urge you to come forward if you were injured or involved in this incident.

"The local community will understandably be concerned by this incident and I want to reassure residents that we have an increased police presence in the area.

"If you have any information that would be useful to the investigation than please come forward and speak to us."

Advertisement

Technical fault brings down 999 lines in Manchester

A technical fault has brought down emergency phone lines at Greater Manchester Police, sparking a warning to people to only dial 999 in life-threatening or dangerous situations.

BT engineers are currently investigating alongside the force's own technical team to try to resolve the issue.

A spokesman for the force said there was a back-up system in place to allow 999 calls through, but said the fault meant capacity was reduced.

He said there "should not be" a problem for people in real emergencies getting through, but urged callers to be sensible.

That is why we are stressing to people to only use the 999 number in real emergencies, so we can make sure those really important calls can get through.

– Greater Manchester Police spokesman

UPDATE: Police say the issue has now been resolved and normal service has resumed.

  1. Granada

Peter Kay leads standing ovation for Ted Robbins

Peter Kay pays tribute to Ted

Comedian Peter Kay has led a standing ovation in support of actor Ted Robbins at the Manchester Arena last night.

The 59-year-old was taken to hospital after he collapsed on stage on the opening night of Phoenix Nights Live on Saturday. A medic came out of the 10,000 sell-out crowd to tend to him before he was taken to hospital. Last night the show went ahead as normal last night.

He remains in a stable condition at Wythenshawe Hospital. His sister Kate tweeted to thank everyone for all their well wishes.

Advertisement

  1. Granada

Phoenix Nights stars tweet their support for Ted Robbins

  1. Granada

Wife of Ted Robbins: Ted is 'doing well' in hospital

Credit: PA

The wife of Ted Robbins, Judy, says her husband is "doing well" in hospital.

She also made an appeal to the doctor in the audience who came to Ted's rescue.

In a message this morning she wrote:

"With Ted now in the hospital. He is in some pain due to bruising on his ribs from chest compressions but other than that, he is doing well.

"We are so incredibly grateful for everyone's support and we would love more than anything to find out who the doctor was out of the audience who gave such fantastic treatment.

"Thanks for all your lovely messages, it's very touching to know he is loved.

He will be fit and healthy again soon."

Load more updates