Rivals of Jacob Zuma looked to capitalise after the South African leader snubbed a ceremony marking the death of 34 miners by police fire.
Dr John Sentamu has reached out to the families of those killed in the South African mine massacre after silence from political leaders.
The standoff between striking miners and South African authorities hardened as workers rejected a new deal and 'gatherings' were banned.
The chief executive of Lonmin Marikana mines in South Africa has apologised after 34 striking workers were killed in violent clashes against police a year ago today, the Agence France Presse agency is reporting.
South Africa's ruling party has said they were staying away from the one-year anniversary commemorations to mark the killings of 34 striking platinum miners shot dead by the police, according to Reuters.
African National Congress (ANC) spokesman Ishmael Mnisi said: "People are taking advantage of a tragedy for their own political benefit".
The first anniversary of the shooting at Lonmin's Marikana mine in South Africa is being commemorated today.
Thousands of co-workers and relatives of the 34 miners shot dead by South African police during a wage strike, have gathered to mark the anniversary of their deaths.
The event will culminate in a moment of silence shortly after 2pm, around the same time a year ago police opened fire at the foot of the hill.
Pressure is mounting on South African security forces after mobile phone footage was broadcast showing a new angle on the police shooting of 34 miners last year, which appears to show officers bragging about their actions.
Video of police opening fire on a protest had emerged at the time of the shootings at Lonmin's Marikana platinum mine and showed a dozen striking miners being cut down in a hail of police bullets.
The new footage is thought to have been filmed by the police themselves and shows officers bragging about the killings.
The video goes on to show further shootings, undermining claims that the police fired in self-defense.
The outspoken South African politician Julius Malema stormed out of court today, saying he was being fitted up by the government.
Mr Malema has been a key supporter of the recent miners strikes.
Today he was in court on trial for money laundering, which, he said, was an attempt to silence him.
Police fire rubber bullets to disperse crowds of mine workers near Rustenburg. South Africa's mining crisis is not going away.
Two people have died after clashes between police and striking miners in South Africa, including a local councillor who was apparently an innocent bystander, according to the Associated Press.
Police fired rubber bullets, tear gas and stun grenades to break up a march by thousands of strikers at the Amplats mines near Rustenburg, belonging to Anglo American Platinum, the world's largest platinum producer.
Amplats strike leader Evans Ramokga said a miner was run over by a police armoured car and dragged several yards before it stopped. He said the man died overnight in hospital. The latest deaths bring the death toll to 47.
A governing party councillor shot by police firing rubber bullets at the scene of a mine strike has died, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) have told the Associated Press.
It said African National Congress councillor Paulina Masuhlo was shopping on Saturday near the Never Die Tavern at the miners' shantytown of Lonmin platinum mine when police firing from a speeding armoured car hit her and other women.
Cosatu have said that Ms Masuhlo died in hospital yesterday after being shot during the violence.