Met Police chief thanks Duggan family after they appeal for peace as friend says family are 'still too raw' to meet with police watchdog.
Mark Duggan's family have reacted angrily to the inquest conclusion that he was lawfully killed when he was shot by police in 2011.
Mark Duggan was lawfully killed when he was shot dead by a police marksman in 2011, a jury has found.
Scotland Yard ignored recommendations to review a controversial "hard stop" police tactic that was employed against Mark Duggan when he was shot in 2011, sparking rioting across the country, it has emerged.
The Metropolitan Police had been advised to review its use of the "high risk option" in 2005 by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), the BBC's Panorama programme has found.
The pre-planned "hard stop" tactic sees armed officers deliberately intercept a vehicle to confront suspects.
Scotland Yard has conceded it was wrong not to have reviewed the tactic at the time, but said an "interim review" had now been completed by the College of Policing.
The police marksman who killed Mark Duggan could be back on duty within weeks after an inquest jury found that the shooting was lawful.
Scotland Yard has confirmed that the "post-incident support programme" has begun for the officer, identified only as V53, involving medical tests and training.
A spokesman said:
Following the jury's finding of lawful killing in the Mark Duggan inquest, the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) will now start the post- incident support programme for the firearms officers involved.
This process includes medical tests, refresher training and an assessment of the individual officer's welfare.
Any suggestion the officers will immediately be deployed with firearms is premature. This process applies equally to those officers who carry a firearm or who are deployed to command armed operations.
The Duggan family, who reacted furiously to the lawful killing inquest finding last week, have been told about the move.
The coroner in the controversial Mark Duggan inquest has said he will ask the Duggan family to help shape recommendations on police firearms procedure, the Mail on Sunday has reported.
Senior circuit judge Keith Cutler told the newspaper he will take "the unusual, perhaps unique step" of inviting submissions from the Duggan family.
Judge Cutler said: "Whatever you think of him as an individual, Mark Duggan was somebody’s son. No one wanted him to die.
"Normally I would hide away and come to my own conclusions about these recommendations but this has been a highly charged and high- profile case. I have wanted to have transparency for all the parties and the public.
"The obvious one, that officers wear head cameras on these types of operations, has already been put forward. But there will be other issues including the training of officers and preparation for operations".
Mark Duggan's aunt Carole has condemned a media "campaign" that she said had portrayed him as a "gangster" at today's vigil for the 29-year-old outside a police station in Tottenham.
"What we have got to remember - Mark isn't here and we are doing this for his children," she told protesters, who held placards calling for "justice" after an inquest ruled Mr Duggan had been lawfully killed by a police marksman in 2011.
Mrs Duggan called for a new Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation (IPCC) into her nephew's death, which was followed by rioting across the country.
"Let's show the country that we are not this gangster family that the media has been systematically portraying us as," Carole Duggan told the crowd.
"Mark was not a gangster, the media sustained a campaign against him. We're just an ordinary family."
Protesters gathered outside Tottenham Police station stopped and held a one minute silence for Mark Duggan.
More than a dozen people have gathered in Birmingham city centre today in a show of solidarity for the family of Mark Duggan.
Bearing posters calling for "justice" and declaring "No to police violence", the protesters met outside the West Midlands Police headquarters, at Lloyd House.
Mr Duggan was killed when he was shot by police in London in 2011, sparking the riots which then spread across the country - including major violence in Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
His family has expressed outrage at the verdict of an inquest jury, which ruled he had been killed lawfully.
Significantly more people have arrived outside Tottenham Police station in protest as part of a Mark Duggan Family vigil.
People have begun assembling outside Tottenham Police station ahead of a Mark Duggan family vigil at 2pm.
A police statement warning those who would provoke trouble at a vigil being held by Mark Duggan's family follows concerns that the crowds would clash with football fans going to see Tottenham Hotspur play Crystal Palace, but the match is set to go ahead at 3pm.
On Thursday Britain's most senior police officer and Prime Minister David Cameron both urged supporters to remain calm at the vigil.
The commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, thanked the Duggan family for their public calls for peace.
He said: "A vigil is to commemorate Mark Duggan's death, that's what the vigil is about."It's a terrible tragedy that someone's lost a life in this case, and clearly the family want to register, I believe, their protest about the outcome of the inquest."
Police station shutters came down with a message on the front saying that the Tottenham Police station was closed.The first two to arrive for the vigil, were Islington pensioner Anne Johnson, 80, a member of the Communist Party of Great Britain, and 73-year-old Martha Osamor.
Ms Johnson said: "I feel so sorry for the Duggan family. This is yet another death involving the police and a black person.
"People are not getting justice. The police should not be killing people."
Ms Osamor, who works at Haringey Law Centre, in Tottenham, said: "I knew Mark Duggan when he was a little boy. So little has changed over the years.
"Here am I picketing outside Tottenham police station yet again."